Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 8 years ago

What are some good instruments for a beginner to learn?

This term my mum said I can start learning an instrument. I'm struggling on what to take, all of the classes are the same price and I don't fancy voice lessons. What do you suggest? I'm fourteen if that makes a difference.

Favorite Answer

Piano and guitar are useful ones to learn. And they do come in handy for most instrumentalists and singers if they know how to use them.

Personally, I play the trumpet and have been for five years and I think it's easier in that you only have three buttons to press. The hardest part is probably getting a beautiful tone. Although I've heard that its better to learn the cornet (a shorter trumpet basically) since it has a mellowed tone to it.

Really, it all comes down to your personal tastes. Some instruments could be hard to learn but be beautiful if you master them. Likewise, some instruments can be easy to learn and be beautiful when mastered. It just depends on you personal tastes and other factors (do you want to play it for the rest of your life, or do you want to do it just during your school career?).

Hope a helped! :D

I'm currently a music major in college playing the trumpet. Honestly, the best instrument to learn first is the piano. Every instrument that you can possibly play, from drums to voice, can be connected heavily back to the piano. Speaking very basically, the majority of music is based off of some form of chord structure, basically all popular music is. Piano will teach you the individual notes in the individual notes. On a guitar, you simply learn the fingerings and tabs to a E7 chord. By learning the piano though, you learn that an E7 consists of E, G#, B, and D. So you automatically get a stronger bases in basic music theory which is very helpful. You will understand how keys works and how changing the key of a piece affects the music. Plus, the piano is just really fun to play. theory, Piano just all around gives you a better understanding of theory, musicianship, harmony and composition. At my university, every music education major has to learn to play the piano proficiently. So, hopefully that may help you decide. Here is a little added something on why I love piano so much. Whatever instrument you do pick, stick with it, It is going to be very hard and very tedious at first, but it will be so rewarding in the end. Learning to consume music intelligently, to create, and recreate are three of the most important things that we can do in our lives.

Here is just a little added something for the piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fAZIQ-vpdw

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): I'm being trained in the field of music.
  • Phable

Any instrument works for a beginner. All instruments are easy to learn, but hard to master.

The piano or guitar