Starting a band, selling music on iTunes?

If me and some friends were to start a band and record some songs, with like garage band or something, would it be a good idea to sell music on iTunes? We'd eventually want a recording contract with a real label company and to play live and all that, would already selling music come back around and be a problem some how down the road?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When an Artist uploads music onto iTunes, it gives labels the opportunity to view the Artist's digital sales via SoundScan. This can be beneficial if the Artist happens to sell a lot of music online. However, if an Artist has a lot of music uploaded on iTunes with minimal or no sales, it can actually paint a negative picture for the label; i.e the Artist's is not profitable.

My suggestion to you is to not upload anything on iTunes just to simply have music on iTunes. If you do, and you do not receive a substantial amount of streams or sales, I recommend you remove your music from iTunes prior to contacting any labels for consideration. A label will research your sales.

Source(s): Label Sr. A&R, 14 years.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Actually, selling your own music is what drives labels to want to sign you in the first place. The days of artist development are over. Now a label expects you to have all your ducks in a row BEFORE they sign you. You can check out www.aded.us music distribution to educate you on the world of music distribution.

Source(s): www.aded.us
  • 4 years ago

earnings is commonly sales - value of issues provided - expenditures - with ebay, you're able to truly have addiitonal expenditures of itemizing expenditures, very very last sales expenditures, Paypal expenditures, then you certainly definately ought to have employ if you're renting a storefront, utilities, telephone and cyber information superhighway charges. analyze some books about promotion on ebay - there are lots available - in all chance some by utilising using those who've set up consignment agencies consisting of you opt for to do - you larger effective get an up the front value for accepting any merchandise from all and distinct to promote - for a lengthy time period to list it and the itemizing expenditures value, then also make the guy promotion the object pay for the proper sales value if it sells, and teh Paypal expenditures and then you're taking like 30% of what's left - make all those expenditures very clean up the front, so people don;t accuse you later of attempting to tear you off.- all of your oput-of pocket expenditures must be coated and if teh merchandise sells, it somewhat is the position your earnings is accessible in you'll ought to prefer to learn a thanks to value themes - people bringing products in will always imagine of they'll promote for lots more beneficial useful than they in all chance will (and in all chance somewhat some junk that's no longer somewhat nicely worth bothering with in any recognize) - and except you commence up with low minimum bids, no man or woman will bid in the experience that they say you value too a lot, tell them to do it themselves and they'll see what it expenditures and how a lot time it takes don;t ignore to value delivery, so that you're able to prefer to appreciate how a lot something will value to furnish previously you list it and if it expenditures too a lot at the same time as in evaluation with the cost of the object, it somewhat is in all chance no longer somewhat nicely worth promotion on ebay - search for for themes you may also make a extreme earnings margin one

• 7 years ago

I just found something really cool. Use Distrokit: http://distrokid.com/u/557881

you'll get your music on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify and other services in no time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

If you do it yourself, then there won't be crediting issues. and you can just take it off itunes once you get your contract. I would recommend something a bit more tops than garageband though. I like Protools.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.