Friend asks for an expensive birthday gift?

She asked for a birthday gift, and said she wanted this perfume that is 40 pounds I'm only16 so I don't have much money. She specifically said she wanted an expensive gift, while we were shopping and then started to say how she never gets nice presents, but she's spoiled rotten, she gets money of her dad all the time for expensive clothing, and she asks for money for food, and in that day I would see like 10 pound in her purse, she says she doesn't like breaking her notes. She looks in my bag and takes food, and will never share her food. im from a lower income household then her and i get dinner tickets, and she literally begs me for them. My other friends birthday is on the same day and she asked for a gift aswll, she even gave me a voucher and said its so i save money when I shop for her present, he voucher says you get money off when you spend 14 pound in the store, so she expects me to spend a lot to, I only have 10 pound my grandad gave me this week, and can't afford such expensive presents.

Pull her apart privately and ask her if she joking about getting her that steeply-priced gift. Snigger about it in the beginning and give her a moment to crawl out of her impolite approaches. If she says she was joking, then go away it at that. If she says that she wasn't joking, then inform her that you are going to now not be ready to have the funds for what she asked for. Inform her you had another reward in mind, but that if she doesn't want it, you realize. Let her know that you do not need to destroy her birthday and that you worth her. She's going to have got to accept this...

I'm not saying this is a valid excuse...but you have to understand that she isn't used to not being able to just ask for something and get it. Like you said...she is spoiled and needs to check her privilege. I mean...if you're feeling super confident...don't get her anything at all...make her something. Those kinds of gifts should be more valued if it's a true friendship. But if you have to spend money...get her something within YOUR price range..not her's. She doesn't control your spending. If she doesn't like what you give her, ask for it back and return it...why waist your money ya know?

Think you could answer mine? I could really use the advice.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201304...

• Amber

Do they look at you like your rich or somethin? I've been in that situation and I asked my mum to buy it for the friend and I SLOWLY payed her back for it. My friend wanted a really expensive necklace,I don't remember the price,and I didn't want to seem cheap so I talked it over with my mum because honestly I never have money because I spend it all on stupid **** and my mum didn't mind at all because she knew I'd pay her back eventually,which I did.

Don't buy them anything, explain the financial situation youre in, and if you really feel the need to apologize to them, do it.

Make them a homemade birthday cards and if you can set dates to invite them over for dinner and a movie.

If not, just improvise.

She is using you for money. Give her bread with a little bit of butter inside. The perfect gift!

I think you NEED NEW friends...seriously Real friends don't tell ppl how much money they should spend on them...sounds pathetic. These ppl sound as if they are just using you and obviously trying to take advantage.

Source(s): Personal Opinion

I don't think she is truly your friend, but why don't you see for yourself? Don't buy her anything, tell her you have no money, and if she is a true friend, she will be happy simply because you came to her party, if she's mad because you didn't buy a gift, she's just using you.

Source(s): My opinion

Your "friends" are quite.....picky. Maybe it's different in the UK. (I'm from the US). Your friendship shouldn't be based on money. I would confront your friends about how you're feelin

Good luck and stay true to yourself :)