What's your opinion on Neymar?

Do you think he has the potential of being a Ronaldo? Of course you don't see players like Messi and Ronaldo that often. But he's considered one of the best (although I disagree, he needs to prove himself in Europe). But in your opinion do you think he has the potential of being another Ronaldo, if not does he come close?

Update:

@Abdul In my opinion he'd be success at Barca. He won't be dwarfed by Messi because they both play different positions and rather they'd be a great pair.. Messi only wants the central role, he doesn't want the LW role which is where Neymar plays..

Update 2:

@Wossy - overrated? Hmmm.. maybe that's harsh because he has been good with Brazil but I still believe he needs to move to Europe

Update 3:

@Doc I'm talking about Cristiano Ronaldo - and there's not much difference in height only a few inches lol

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Fantastic player, unique, good at everything, needs to move to Europe to prove himself. Some people see Neymar as a selfish player but he really is great at setting up players too, a player with dribbling, passing, speed, finesse, flair, finishing, what else could you want, he just needs to prove himself at a bigger club.

@Doc, he is 4 inches short than Ronaldo...

• On word OVERRATED!!!! There's much better players in Europe of he's age yet their underrated!!the brazaian League Now is not as Competive or even near the level of Europe! Gotze Reus Bale, Isco Walcott are all better players!!! Don't see nothing special about Neymar just another Robihno 2.0! Brazilian Young talent Get overhyped too much! Oscar and Lucas are Great players yet underrated! Their better than Neymar for sure they both play in Big clubs and High level Football unlike Neymar! Mind you at 21 Ronaldo was already Playing With Manchester United! He played for them when he Was 18! Neymar doesn't even come close to Ronaldo's or Messis Caliber!!!

Source(s): CR7 and Messi TRUE GREATS
  • Dan
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

No, I don't see him as having the potential of Ronaldo

At 21 Ronaldo was already considered one of the top 3 players in the world.

Neymar is a lot smaller and would need to pack on a lot of muscle.

• Doc
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Neymar is talked about as if he has accomplished major feats, yet hes actually done nothing. No, i dont think Neymar will ever get anywhere close to what ronaldo is. Neymar is more a a messi type player because of his size, style of movement and game play, well for the most part. He has the potential to be great, but not the greatest.

And this is referring to CR7. If your talking about Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima, the greatest striker that ever existed, then the answer is also, hell no (perhaps its more like a hhhhhhheeeeeelllllllll nnnnnnnoooooooooo).

EDIT: By size i meant body weight and physique, and hes 2'' taller than messi and 4'' shorter than CR7 (MM is correct). Forgive me for the confusion and mistake.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Neymar is overated in my opinion. He might get better when he comes to Barcelona, but right now he does not score enough goals for his country and for Santos you expect more then 17 goals as the defenders in that league are not that great. I want to see him play agianst defenders like Puyol, Ramos, Vidic, or Thiago Silva and see how well he does agianst them. Fully agree with you that Neymar needs to come to Europe and show his skills and become much better.

Actually I think he is similar to Ronaldo. Both of them dive a lot and both do not pass the ball often lol. But in serious note i do not think he will reach the level of Ronaldo but has lots of time to improve as he is only 20 and if he does move to Barcelona he will learn a lot.

Overall I have to say Neymar will never be as good as Messi or Ronaldo or the best player in the world. But probably will be one of the future generation stars.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

In believe he has to the potential to be a world class player .. He should have left brazil after he won the copa libertadores .. Since then all he has done is just show up to games am he doesn't have the same conviction and intensity .. That's why when he plays international football he flops still has the potential to be the best but he isn't coming to after the world cup

• I certainly do not want to believe he is overrated but he does have a lot to prove on the big stage. My fear is that he might be dwarfed at barcelona by lionel messi if he so decides to join them. I would rather he moves to bayern munich and trust me the guy would be a sensation in world football.

• 8 years ago

Overrated atm. Of course he's too young to claim him to be one of the best which is what everyone has been doing so clearly when he bombs it puts pressure on him. Does he have the potential to be the next Ronaldo? Ehh, sure why not?

• 8 years ago

Overrated. Constantly flops against decent opposition with Brazil. Will never reach the level of C.Ronaldo or Messi.

El Sharaawy and Balotelli are much better.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior (Portuguese pronunciation: [nejˈmaɾ dɐ ˈsiɫvɐ sɐ̃tus ˈʒunioɾ]; born 5 February 1992), commonly known as Neymar, is a Brazilian footballer who plays in the Brasileirão Série A for Santos and the Brazilian national team, mainly as a forward. In 2012, SportsPro magazine rated Neymar as the most marketable athlete in the world.[2] Neymar was also rated #13 in The Guardian's 'Football 100' for 2012.[3]

At the age of 19, Neymar won the 2011 South American Footballer of the Year award, after coming third in 2010.[4] He followed this up by winning it again in 2012. In 2011 Neymar received nominations for the FIFA Ballon d'Or, where he came 10th, and the FIFA Puskás Award, which he won.[5] He is known for his acceleration, speed, dribbling and finishing. His playing style has earned him critical acclaim, with fans, media and former players drawing comparisons to Argentine forward Lionel Messi and former Brazil player Pelé, who has called Neymar "an excellent player".[6]

Neymar joined Santos in 2003 and, after rising through the ranks, was promoted to their first team squad. He made his debut for Santos in 2009, and was voted the Best Young Player of the 2009 Campeonato Paulista. Further honours followed, with Neymar being voted best player as Santos won the 2010 Campeonato Paulista, and also being top scorer in the 2010 Copa do Brasil with 11 goals. He finished the 2010 season with 42 goals in 60 games as his club achieved the Double. Neymar was again voted best player of the year in 2011 as his side retained the state title and Santos also winning the 2011 Copa Libertadores in which Neymar scored 6 goals in 13 appearances. He also played a key role in securing a Continental Double for his team, Santos' first since 1963. He received the Bronze Ball in the 2011 FIFA Club World Cup, with Santos making it to the final, where they were defeated by FC Barcelona, 4–0.[7][8]

Neymar is a Brazilian international, having represented Brazil at Under-17, Under-20 and senior levels. On 10 August 2010, at the age of 18, he made his debut for the Seleção in a friendly match against the United States; he scored from a header in the 28th minute, contributing to Brazil's 2–0 win. He was the top scorer of the 2011 South American Youth Championship with nine goals, including two in the final, in the 6-0 win against Uruguay, helping Brazil to win their 11th title in this competition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.