Language question. Answer me please!!!?

Do you American people speak English exact the way grammar books teaches? Correctly? Respecting all the rules??

Or sometimes you use slangs, and commit errors on pronunciation?

Because here, in Brazil we must learn English rules by rules.

I can't imagine a normal person speaking like that.

Grammar is boring!!!

Thank you all very much!!!!!

Favorite Answer

The truth is that written and spoken English are very different.

Spoken English still follows rules but is less rigid. Many forms are contracted and speech sounds change according to the sounds that surround them.

Written English is usually more formal and has stricter rules on how words go together.

Written English tends to be in complete sentences but spoken English rarely is.

This is not a special feature of English and I suspect that in written and spoken Portuguese there are similar differences.

I'm not sure what a normal person is but we all stick to rules. Unfortunately, there are also regional and national variations in the rules of grammar, spelling and pronunciation.

The solution is to listen to as many different varieties of English as you can, from USA and Canada, NZ and OZ, South Africa, UK and Ireland. You could even try listening to non-native versions too; India, Pakistan, Fomer British colonies in Africa etc. The more exposure you get, the easier it will become.

Good luck

• Dave

When learning a new language there are always two forms, the proper form and the common form. The proper form being one where all of the grammar rules are generally followed, and the common form which is the one that most Americans will speak. This one is more relaxed and more slang is used as well.

You should try to learn both ways if possible. Learn the proper way in order to understand the basic structure of the English language and then the common way you'll need if you want to carry on a relaxed conversation with an American.

No.

This is not because native speakers speak wrongly. It's because, generally, ESL tuition books over-simplify grammar rules, and treat formal English as the only correct form (and in fact many native English speakers fall into the same error).

As Si-tu An says, written and spoken forms of English differ. This does not mean that the spoken form is wrong. If you have a good teacher, they'll understand this, and also teach you about informal conversational English - the form that most native speakers use.

• MrD

Its the same in most languages. People speak grammatically incorrectly, and, especially here in the UK, we have a lot of slang. Even as a languages teacher, I still find myself committing grammar errors or slacking on pronunciation when I'm around people I know. Grammar is something that, generally, people are very bad with.

Source(s): Languages Teacher

Americans rarily speak English exactly the same way that the book teaches you. You are bound to make errors most of the time. Some people grow up thinking that they are saying something right when they have been saying it wrong the whole time, but they still continue to say it right because that's how they have always said it.

Source(s): My head.

No, we most definitely do not, but it's easier to learn the language correctly than to learn in incorrectly.