5th year in college, struggling math major?

So I'm not passing Mathematical Probability, one of the core requirements for my major, for the third time. In the event that my petition retake the course for the 4th time is rejected, I have to declare a different major.

Unfortunately, because I'm a math major, my classes don't really transfer to any other major, meaning that essentially I'd have to start fresh, meaning another 3 years of college. The only other area I'm even remotely interested in is Nutrition/Nutritional Science. But here's the problem:

The closest major offered is Health Science. There is no nutrition program at my school.

I'm also really concerned with financial aid. Although I've only borrowed 5k so far in federal subsidized loans, my school has a limit with all grants that I've surpassed in terms of how long I've been in school. So starting next year, I won't get any grants at all even if I desperately need it.

Any advice? I feel absolutely miserable and stupid.

• Lana
    Favorite Answer

The only person that can answer this question is you. If you are having a difficult time passing a core class, perhaps you should think of doing a different major. However, if mathematics is your passion and you can't see yourself doing anything else, then go to tutoring, study 4 hours a day if you have to, see the professor during office hours. Whatever it takes to get at least a C in the class, do it.

Ask yourself what is it you would do after graduation. Does it involve math? Do you have any other interests besides nutrition? I would say maybe take some time to figure out what you want. Try new hobbies, join a different club, take a class you've always wanted to take. But give yourself a deadline to figure it out, say 6 months or so. You don't want to be in school forever. If you have to stay another 3 years, then go ahead if it means doing something else you love. Maybe get a part-time job to help pay for school.

Get a tutor. Pass the course and graduate with a degree in math. Switching majors, at this point, is unacceptable.