My 98 Pontiac Sunfire wont crank over and the theft system light is on?

I have a 98 Pontiac Sunfire, I have had it for about 16 months and it periodically will not start. My dad has messed with a box under the dash to get it to start a few times but it has done it again. This time we switched a few of the fuses around because the INT LAMP fuse was blown, and the ERLS. Now the theft system light is on (not blinking) and the car still wont start. The accessories turn on and the fuel pump engages. Does anyone know what could be wrong? There is no power getting to the solenoid or the relay on the back of the radiator.

Favorite Answer

You have a smark key and your car forgot it. Im thinking your battery was dead or the fuse killed the memory. turn the key to run for 10 min or so. Dont try to start it. when the light goes out. shut off the key count to 5sec's. turn the key on and start the car. The key should now be in your systems memory.

I have 420,000 on my 2001 Sunfire GT. Not much I dont know about them:)

• Erika

98 Pontiac Sunfire

• zoelle

98 Sunfire

Sounds like it might be an issue with the passlock system. I believe this model year came with a passlock 1 system. You can take it to a dealer to fix it, but it costs around $300 to fix. It sounds like you are pretty handy by your post so you probably have the ability to rig the ignition to bypass the system. Below are some links to help you troubleshoot the problem more. I hope this helps...best of luck!