Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 8 years ago

What is a list of things you need for a horses?

I want a horse and am saving up for one. I was wondering what all the things I would need are (just for the horse) Thx!

• Ginger

Money. Lots and lots of money. My horse was a rescue, and therefore very cheap, but I've spent probably 10000X what I bought him for just in care. And I don't show. Saving up for a horse is like saving up for buying a new house...a new one once a year every year for the rest of your life. It's crazy expensive, even if you get a cheap horse. I don't want to turn you off of getting one, I just want you to be prepared for the amount of money they cost to keep. Vet bills cost thousands of dollars, and if your horse needs a vet, it NEEDS A VET, so that money adds up. Plus you need maintenance vet work, like sheath cleanings if you get a gelding, and medicines if you have a horse with some kind of condition (Mine needs Adequan regularly, which adds up $$$). Then you need a farrier or trimmer, depending on whether or not you want your horse to be barefoot or shod (my trimmer is $65 a horse, every 4 weeks), lessons/a trainer to teach you how to ride (usually anywhere from $50-$150, depending on the trainer, though it could be more or less (i doubt it would be less, though)), and a barn to board the horse at (I would recommend not keeping the horse at your own house, especially as a first time horse owner. It's an incredible amount of work and responsibility. Boarding barns usually cost anywhere from $350-$900 per horse a month, depending on the stable. It can of course cost more or less, but I would be careful of the really cheap places because of the care your horse will be getting. You want to make sure that, since you won't be there all the time, your horse will be well taken care of and looked after. My boarding barn is so great that they have called me at 1 in the morning to tell me my horse was colicing because they noticed he was acting funny. I sleep better at night knowing a have wonderful people looking out for my horse when I can't be there, and that's certainly worth the money I pay to be there). The list of basic everyday supplies in one of the other answers is a good start, as well. I just wanted to be sure you knew about the really expensive parts of owning a horse, as well. They are absolutely worth the money we spend on them, though! Good luck! :D

Source(s): Grew up with horses my entire life, and now a long-time horse owner myself. :)

Well, you'll need a good boarding barn, a really good equine veterinarian and farrier, and about 4 years worth of lessons. Horses are a GIANT responsibility, and will take up your entire life. Social life? What social life? I certainly don't have one :)

Anyways, basic supplies:

Show clothing of necessary

Turnout Blanket/Stable Blanket (probably 200g)

Fly Sheet (Light or normal depending on your weather)

Fly mask (I like with ears)

Fly boots - I personally don't use them, but some need them

Sleazy - for cold climates

Saddle (English or Western)

Bridle/Headstall depending on which style you ride

Bit (probably eggbutt, I personally use argentine and eggbutt snaffle, I HATE corrections)

Reins

Girth

Saddle Pad

Breastcollar if needed

Stirrups

Stirrup leathers

Spurs, if you use them (I never do)

Other tack

Riding boots (tall, western or paddock)

Soft brush

Hard brush

Medium brush

Face brush

Finishing brush

Curry comb

Mane comb

Tail brush

Hoof pick

Hoof brush

Shampoo

Shine spray - if wanted

Buckets

Sponges

Sweat scraper

Deshedding blade

Egg bot knife

Halter - I like Nylon - they're strong, inexpensive and easy to clean: plus, my horse doesn't chew it

Leadrope

Wraps

Bell boots/Overreach boots

Lunge Line

Lunge whip

Hoof polish/protector

Thrush buster

Wormer

Treats - I like Manna Pro Bite - especially peppermint!

Toys - I love Jolly Balls!

Buckets if not provided by your stable

I probably forgot stuff... I know I have it, but lol I can't remember :)

Source(s): Experience!

Stable

Bedding

Hay net

Water bucket

Wheelbarrow

Plastic shovel

Brush

Saddle with stirrups

Bridle

Cleaning fluid for the sadle

Brush kit with hoof protectant

Wormer

There may be more research more about it