Can you profit off a DITY move when separating from the military?

We are separating in August, (hopefully getting terminal leave mid June) We have A LOT of stuff, a dog and 3 kids. We want every penny to count since we are getting out and going to be tight on money for a while. Would we profit any off a DITY move?

Favorite Answer

YES YOU CAN!!!

I didn't. After I retired, there was some screw up that made me ineligible for the dity move. Make them move everything so you can concentrate on other issues and do NOT sell any leave time. Take it all. I have 90 leave built when I retired. Good stuff!!

You Absolutely can profit of a DITY move - at any time, not just during separation.

However, what you need to consider is how much is your time and effort worth? Do you really want to deal with the hassle of moving yourself and then waiting on the financial side to catch up with you well after the fact? Are you prepared to move all the heavy and awkward things yourself? Are you prepared to pack all those boxes - and up pack, and the haul all the residue off to the dump yourself? Are you prepared to rent the truck and drive it yourself? Are you prepared to have someone watch the kids while you two do all the packing and moving yourself?

The list is endless.

I have done two partial DITYs (did not learn from the first one) and both were a severe pain in the butt. I also did a self-move to a new apartment cross town - which showed me not only no, but hell-no to a full-on DITY. I do not recommend it at all.

Source(s): 24 years Regular Army; 4 years USAR /ARNG