Do I have a chance at getting into UCLA?

I'm only a freshmen in high school...but I know that UCLA is where I want to go. Some people say I shouldn't worry but I just want to make sure I'm on a good track to get in. Right now I have a 3.9 GPA. I'm planning on bringing it up to at least a 4.0 by the end of the year. I'm in honors english, history, and orchestra. I will be taking honors biology next year. The only honors class I won't have is math. I'm in the lowest math and that will work against me. I also play varsity lacrosse, take part in orchestra activities in and out of school, and perform in all the school plays (drama club). I know I will have to see how I end up doing on my SATs, but does anyone think I'll have a chance of getting in? Also, I'd like to major in English but there is a 99% chance that will change by my senior year.

Oh and I'm a white female, and I will not be a first generation college student either if that is of any significance.

Favorite Answer

Look, admissions to those universities aren't JUST given on your grades. Those are more like a ticket to the admissions committee. Understand that many applicant like you will have similar or more grades than you. Its what you present other than your transcripts and SATs matter. Also, people sitting in the admissions committee are extremely trained and 3.7 or a 3.8 doesn't affect their decision. Likewise a person who has a 2300 SAT cannot be considered more intelligent or superior to a person with a 2200 SAT. They look for more SUCCESSFUL applicants, if you know what I mean. It compromises like the challenges you overcame, the work you did, and the strength you have to bring glory to their school. Trust me, they have many geeks and nerds lined up, who score top notch, but still fail to get in.

So, working on those areas will definitely give you an advantage over those who work their asses off to get a 2400 and a 4.0, and present virtually nothing impressive other than scores.. As i said, these people definitely go to the admissions committee, but that is where they are rejected. Anyways, judging your performance so far, you have a good shot at UCLA. Good luck :)

Source(s): Freshman at Harvard