Should we paint or stain our redwood ceiling?

We just bought a home that has a bare redwood ceiling (it hasn't been painted and I don't think it's been stained). My boyfriend wants to stain it to preserve the wood appearance, but I want to paint it white. The reason I want to paint it is because we have light colored wood laminate flooring so I think a darker stained wood ceiling wouldn't match. I think a white ceiling would brighten up the room and make it look bigger. The walls are a light beige color with white trim.

Is there a way we can compromise and possibly add a stain to the redwood to make it look lighter? Like a white wash? I know nothing about staining so sorry if that's a stupid question :)

Favorite Answer

DO NOT PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will lose the resale value of your home.

Source(s): Real Estate
  • idrovo

Redwood Ceiling

• S

Suggest not painting the redwood ceiling. Instead, let your gentleman buy an orbital sander and, using 150-grit sandpaper, lightly sand the entire redwood ceiling. Use drop cloths to protect the furniture and flooring, and have him wear protective goggles and a mask.

Once the sanding is complete, remove any residual dust using a clean damp cotton rag or toweling tied to a broom. This 'dust' cloth should not be moist or wet, just damp bordering on dry. wait overnight, then apply two or three coats of Danish finishing oil following the manufacturer directions. The oil will give the redwood of the ceiling a lovely patina and enhance the natural character of the wood.

While still recommending not to paint the redwood ceiling, note this sanding and finishing of the redwood ceiling would still need to be done before any paint finish could be applied.

http://www.calredwood.org/pdf/Interior+Finishes.pd...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_oil