ben asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 years ago

Why am I not getting bigger or stronger?

I'm 16 I workout 3 days a week. and after every session I have a protein drink. I have been going to the school gym for about a year but I'm not gaining muscle and I think I'm getting weaker.

my 14 yr old friend workouts out everyday and he is heaps bigger than me after a year.

Why aren't I getting bigger and stronger?

what should I do?

How long will it take?

• psYA

1. Eat tons of carbs before a workout, but more than 30 minutes before so you can digest it. You need lots of slow release energy or your body could burn muscle instead.

2. Do slow controlled movements, never fast or jerky. Have intense enough workouts to make you sore.

3. Get adequate protein each day, somewhere between 60 grams and 1 gram per pound of body weight depending on how intense your workouts are. Extra beyond that doesn't help.

A healthy well rounded diet with whole fresh foods from all the food groups can help too. Creatine may help. But if you're not getting anything at all I'd start with the basics above before getting fancy.

You should get a little stronger and be able to handle a little more weight or repetitions each week. After a couple months or so it may be more noticeable. But it's so gradual that photos may help you see it better.

well I don't know about your school but workouts for my highschool football team are not good so in addition to those I workout 3 days by myself. try that. Also make sure you are eating food to keep the caloric intake up. also try having whey protein powder if it can afforded. Last, and most importantly, don't say you workout and just be BSing in the gym. im not accusing you of this but if you want gains you have to sweat for it

Do set ups and push ups at home every day, dont eat a lot of fat, sugar. Drink a lot of water and work on your condicion. And dont to much at once. If you cant lift it up try something easier. Good luck.

Well to get bigger you have to eat more calories