HELP CHEMISTRY problems!?
Select the charge each atom will have when it has a complete set of valence electrons.
- JohnLv 78 years agoFavorite Answer
Lithium and potassium are both in column 1 , the alkali metals. When they react they loose their one valence electron to acquire a noble gas configuration. Calcium and magnesium both in column 2, the alkaline earth metals, lose both of their valence electrons to acquire a noble gas configuration.
16. Lithium forms a +1 ion : Li⁺
17. magnesium forms a +2 ion: Mg⁺²
19. potassium forms a +1 ion: K⁺
20. Calcium forms a +2 ion: Ca⁺²