Is it safe for my lizard to be accidently eating eco earth substrate?

When I go and drop my anole's cricket he goes and bites the cricket and some of the substrate. That bad for him? What should I do?

(The substrate that my anole has)

http://www.petco.com/product/104906/Zoo-Med-Eco-Ea...

So what would you guys consider big? He's eating finger pinches of it (not on purpose)

Favorite Answer

If he seems to be eating a *lot* of substrate, you might want to put down some sort of dish or plate (or a paper towel) when you put in crickets, so that at least some of the crickets he eats won't be on substrate, so he won't eat any.

But I suspect he'll be fine if he's just getting a little substrate. Watch for signs of impaction (like not eating or not pooping), but don't be paranoid about it.

edit:

it's more a matter of frequency than quantity, I think. Is he getting a pinch of substrate with *every* cricket, or just occasionally?

If he's eating substrate with every or nearly every cricket, I'd put something down when you feed him, to reduce his ingestion. If he's just doing that, say, once a week or so, he should be fine.

Source(s): Please check out my open questions.

normally, it's fine. Lizards and other reptiles have strong stomach acids.It'll get rid of it before it can do any damage to the animal. Just make sure that it doesn't consume a large portion of the subtrates.

It's totally fine. The manufacturers make it safe for them to eat (not in large amounts).