Har$
Har$ asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 8 years ago

Induction suggested because of previous fast labor and delivery?

I am 24 weeks pregnant. My 1st labor and deliver was 8 hours. My second labor and delivery was 2 hours, barley made it to the hospital. I am pregnant with my 3rd child and am having anxiety about whether or not I will make it to the hospital. My Dr suggested inducing me at 39 weeks. I am not a fan of induction. I would like to let nature take its course, but it is causing major anxiety. I have all these different scenarios playing in my head. Don't know what to do. Let nature take its course or go against what should be aloud to happen? Why would my Dr suggest induction without a medical reason? I have heard so many bad/negative stories about being induce. Feel very conflicted right now. What are your opinions, suggestions?

Favorite Answer

I was induced with my son and there wasn't a single bad thing about it. As well, I am due in 2 days but will be induced again next week. With how fast your labor has been with your previous pregnancies, they may only break your water and not use pitocin or anything else. It is something to discuss with your doctor. When I was induced with my son, I was 9 days over due. From the beginning to end, it was 7 and a half hours to have my son. I was on monitors the whole time because the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and wrist (that obviously had nothing to do with the induction). I say it's better to be safe than sorry and your doctor is just trying to suggest what he/she believes would be best for you and your baby.

Goodluck!

• Dawn

I had the same situation - my first was an 8 hour labor and my second was a 2 hour labor. I didn't have any problems getting to the birth center on time though. I lived 1/2 hr away, and with my second baby I left as soon as I knew I was in labor. After we dropped our daughter off with my parents, I arrived at the birth center with an hour and 15 minutes to spare.

I personally would not choose induction because of a fast labor. My midwife said that second births tend to be faster than first births, but the 3rd tends to be a "wild card". It won't necessarily be faster than the second.

I don't think of fast births as a problem to be managed, if anything it means your body works very efficiently. Doctors tend to feel uncomfortable with situations they can't control, they like to monitor labor. But you probably will get there "on time" if you leave your house as soon as you know you are in labor. The usual advice is to wait until contractions are 5 minutes apart. But when you know you go fast, just go in as soon as possible.

Im going throw the same thing im 32 weeks along and both of mine were really fast.Its scares me because of the pain and not making it to the hospital in time. My husband and i decide to induce this time because the hospital is almost 2 hours away. so you do whats right for you and baby its nothing to feel bad about every ones delivery is different.

Good luck

• Bobbi

My DIL third child was the 'longer labor' of her three. But in the end, it is up to you to decide. Plenty of babies have been born in a car, and all turns out fine.