Can I change the head gasket while replacing the intake manifold gasket? (2000 Buick Century, GM 3.1L)?

At the core, I would face the cracked intake manifold gaskets. At the moment, could I change the head gasket altogether? I just am not sure if the head gasket would be exposed on the way of changing the manifold gasket.

Favorite Answer

If you need a new cylinder head gasket, then while you're doing the intake manifold would be a good time to do it, because you have to take the intake manifold off to get the cylinder head off. If you do the cylinder head gasket later, you'll just have to do the intake manifold all over again! So, you have to ask yourself, do you want to do it once, or twice?

Source(s): ASE Certified Tech

the manifold gasket is a small job, the head gasket requires completely removing the head, and while this is not a difficult job for a skilled mechanic, the very fact that you ask this question shows that you are not one. Leave the head alone unless it NEEDS attention.

nicely even if it isn't leaking or dropping coolant i ought to placed the former thermostat and the former sensor lower back in to verify if the problem is going away. also attempt bleeding the air out because the radiator fill would no longer be the extreme think about the equipment. There will be a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing and yet another one above the water pump, in the 'plumbing' that takes the coolant with the help of the engine. those must be opened slightly and then run the engine until eventually coolant comes out.

Intake gaskets are easy compared to heads. I've done several. But get this tool first!

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/cool-auto...