Tax penalty on owing $135 on federal?

I forgot to mail my check today and wondering if I should leave work 2.5 hours early.

I'd rather stay and work if the penalty is less than 30 bucks. Will mail soon either way, just wondering if the penalty is worth missing 2.5 hours. I live in Los Angeles if location matters.

• Favorite Answer

The late payment penalty and interest on $135 for a whole year would be about $12, or about 3.3 cents per day. If it's less than $1 the IRS won't even waste the cost of postage to send you a statement on it.

• Bobbie

Just put it in the mail tomorrow and the after the IRS does get the 1040V payment voucher with the payment enclosed and they do finish with the processing of your 1040 income tax return they will then send out to the bill letter or notice telling you how much you will owe for your late payment of your 2012 taxes if any at that time in your life.

I would NOT loss 2.5 hours of work pay today at all for this purpose and time in your life.

JUST make sure that you do NOT for get to put it in the mail tomorrow for sure.

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 04/15/2013

Mail it tomorrow. For one day late the amount is less than what IRS will send a bill for.