aretwo_d2 asked in TravelBrazilRecife · 8 years ago

What is the recorder called in portuguese?

I'm talking about the musical instrument, an end blown fipple flute. In english it is not called a flute, when one says flute it is universally understood to mean only transverse flute, but in spanish and in most other languages that I'm aware of it is called some kind of flute, such as Flauta dulce in spanish or flauta dolce in italian.

the other day using google translate i translated flauta dolce (sweet flute) from spanish into portuguese and it came up with "gravador". gravar means to record (like to make a record as in english), so therefore i'm assuming gravador means "recorder". the problem is the word recorder is derived from latin ricordar (to remember, to remind, or obsolute: to sing etc) so if gravador really means recorder, its not based on latin, its a corruption of english.

so which is it? a corruption of english or a google fart?

fyi, apparently flaute doce (sweet flute) is also used in portuguese and yields more accurrate search results than gravador.

(please beg your pardon for posting this in the travel section, there's no other way to reach native portuguese speaking ppl. )

3 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Recorder in portuguese is Gravador.

    And in portuguese Sweet flute is Flauta Doce and is not Gravador. This is a Google issue.

    I don't know the origin from "Gravador - verb Gravar" but it isn't from Latin.

  • 8 years ago

    Gravador= recorder

    Flauta= flute

    Flauta doce= swet flute

    Flauta tranversal= tranverse flute

    Its a fault in google translator.

  • Flauta

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.