I got water on my keyboard...?

I got water on a very small part of my laptop keyboard (the (down) arrow key) and now some keys don't work at all? I can't log in to the computer because I can't enter my complete password, but I've done some trial-and-error, and these are the keys that don't work:

1 2 3 4 7 8 9 0 q w e r u i o p (right) (up) ( down)

As you can see, the keys are very spread out across the keyboard. There's some douments that I really need on that laptop and I can't afford to replace the keyboard... Does anyone have advice on how to make it work again and does anyone know why such a small bit of water has messed up so many keys?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Hello...I can't speak to the why those certain keys no longer function, but as to recovering your information you could hook up a usb keyboard and a flash drive to copy your documents from the damaged laptop. A usb keyboard can be purchased from WalMart for as low as $13.00: http://www.walmart.com/cp/Keyboards/4442 . Hope this helps.

Source(s): Experience as a laptop technician. http://www.walmart.com/cp/Keyboards/4442

it has probably messed up a large area of your keyboard due to the water spreading underneath and breaking some of the circuits required to make certain keys work. if you are on a Laptop I would suggest buying a replacement but if that is not an option take it apart and remove the keyboard, and then inspect and repair the damage. if you are on a desktop computer buy a new keyboard, and be more careful next time!

This thing has happened because of a circuit created in your keyboard after the water spread out across it. The only solution is to replace the keyboard and I think it is not very expensive. The contacting wires of the keys are burned :/

I'd try to dry the keyboard as quickly as possible to salvage it...Hairdryer on high....use your discretion of course. You don't want to further any damage by melting anything.

If not that, maybe pick up an external keyboard and hook it up to your laptop and use that for typing.

if it corrodes just one data line thats how. and you left it to long by the sounds of it.