I need information on wifi routers?

I want to buy a router for internet before going back home from college so I can keep in touch with friends because it's dangerous to walk to my local library now.

I'm thinking of a router but leaning more towards one of the USB wifi connectors.

So if I buy just a USB wifi connector, will it be its own internet source free of using mobile network connections? Or how does it run?

How does a router run as well?

I'm usually tech savvy but I've not had internet in my home since the late 90s or early 2000 (whenever routers and wifi wasn't a part of the internet), so I kinda need help on this before I go out searching for one...

• DrDave
    Favorite Answer

A router just connects to existing internet service so more than one device can connect. Buying a router without some internet service won't get you internet. A USB WIFI connector won't get you internet service either unless you have existing internet service and a wireless router OR you are next to an open WIFI hotspot. The only device you can plug in to your pc and get internet service without the above is a wireless USB modem and you would need to pay for it through a phone carrier.

Usb wifi just picks up wireless signals that are around your area. Usb wireless modems are the ones you pay for that has their own Internet access

Yeah