Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

If the Bible is "a poorly written fiction", why does it outsell every other book on the market?

...including all atheist publications combined?

Atheists: you are very nearly alone in your claim that the Bible is somehow wrong, contradicted by science, or historically valueless.

You have to force yourself into delusion to argue against the Bible, and it's entertaining for me to come in here and [for unlawful carnal knowledge] with you.

Update:

I don't state evidence, and I don't make arguments.

I allow your ignorance to continue unabated.

31 Answers

Relevance
  • Jenna
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

State your evidence.

Edit: "I allow your ignorance to continue unabated."

How Christian of you. Your god must be so proud.

• 8 years ago

It has a certain attraction, no question.

And it is also a given in certain regions that a house is not a home unless it has Bibles in it.

Lots of folks present a Bible to people when they get baptized, when they get married, when they become citizens, when they graduate from some school, etc., etc.

This is why there is a huge, huge market in what I like to call disposable Bibles.

They are either paperback or have a very cheap hardback, are made of very cheap paper, and have nerely a literal kjv text, but with no critical apparatus. And of course, the Apocrypha is so often omitted (it is a absolutely fully integral part of the King Jimmy, but nobody knows it, since the cheap Bibles never include it, and the ignorant try to say it's not actually in the Bible, but the truth is, it's just one more thing they can leave out and still say the Bible's really a Bible). If you look at the Bibles actually sold, most of them are in this category.

Then, add in the poorly educated who believe the Bible has magical qualities or that by flipping it open and reading at random, they can get Gods marching orders for the day, you have a fairly large group of sheeple.

Then again, Zondervan has done an incredible marketing hype for their many and varied "niche" Bibles -- using their slick and easy reading NIV as the Bible text, they stick in various crud for all sorts of special needs, mostly in the quasi-magical department.

Of course, when my class entered seminary, we all had to purchase the New Oxford Annotated Bible, so there, in just one room, was about eighty Bibles at about fifty bucks a pop.

Oh yes, of course. The Gideons is just the tip of the iceberg. How many operations are out there saying, "give so we can send 'God's word' to the poor folks in darkness!" Tons of these disposables are bought to send to countries where there is a need.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

First, there are no reliable sales figures for the Bible, cupcake, so your dishonesty shines from the start.

Second, the Harry Potter series has sold over 450 million copies, more than any other series on the market. Does that mean that it's true? Your illogic now competes for primacy with your dishonesty.

Third, lots of people other than atheists say that your Bible is wrong, contradicted by science, or historically valueless (although no scholar would say it's valueless - it says a lot about the technological inadequacies and the folk legends and fears of the culture that produced it). Christians are a minority of the people on this planet, after all, so, in the end, your bullshit outshines both your dishonesty and your illogic.

You poor little cretin.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The Bible is written in many genres, and parables are a kind of fiction. However, the dominant genre is history. The 40 or so Bible writers gave us good historical accounts of God's interventions in human history, consistent with other historical records of the ancient world.

The Bible outsells other books because it has the words of everlasting life.

Cheers,

Bruce

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Faith and curiocity is the main drive behind the marketing of Holy Books - Bible. No matter what is your opinion about the Book but you still buy it for many reasons; religious student, follower or a critic etc.

• 8 years ago

because the seed that is the bible is planted in children at an early age... thus creating a snowball effect of ignorance that is planted in each generation. Human ignorance is abundant, and widespread religion is an indicator as such.

• 8 years ago

Okay so what EXACTLY is the response you're looking for here? It seems to me that you are attempting to force your religious views onto others, and this is extremely non-Christian, for you are to do unto others that which you would wish done unto yourself. Would you want a random Arab saying you're flat wrong? Study the Bible, please, and do come back when you're finished.

Source(s): The Holy Bible
  • 8 years ago

Hey, look on the Amazon top 100 sellers and see if you can find the bible. Amazon reflects actual sales and is a lot harder to manipulate with things like churches bulk buying copies of the bible so they can just give them away.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-books-Amazon/zg...

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

well, i disagree that the bible is fiction, i am pretty sure it has been edited in many cases and changed in a few cases, but it is still preserved for the most part as an undeniable teacher of righteousness.

paul writes that the scriptures are the school master that we learn from when we are young, but when we grow older, we can leave the school master and become like the master and teacher, something like that.

that said, there isnt a single atheist in the world that is not delusional, as soon as they say evolution proves there is no God, i know for a fact they are Liars and deceived. there is no doubt, there is a God.

• Dave
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

It outsells because there are nearly 2 billion christians in the world who want to buy it. There aren't as many non-christians simply because people have only recently gained the courage and begun to understand the concept of life without religion without fear of being persecuted for it.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Would God be unhappy with todays society now that women are considered equal in most parts of the world?

God's a He

Jesus was a Male

Mark, Matthew, Luke and John

No female authors in biblical scriptures with the exception of short songs and prayers

No female pastors, female priests, female preachers.

Don't need to ramble on about the crimes against women.

Female came from Male (Adam and Eve)

Adam was not deceived but Eve was deceived

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.