What kind of master's degree should I pursue?

I want to work for the Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs. I am a junior majoring in English. My research interests are in immigrant issues/policies and the relationships between the U.S. and other countries/cultures. I would like to explore my areas of interest through literature.

Additional information:

I have maintained a 3.9 GPA and have interned in an immigration law firm for two summers. I currently lead English conversation classes to assist adult immigrants with their comprehension of the English language.


I do not intend to teach English (the language) in the future.

3 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    I'd like you to contact the Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs right now, and see if you can arrange an internship directly with them for this upcoming summer. If you cannot, then try to get an internship for a government agency or an NGO dealing with immigration. Otherwise, I think you are on the right track.

    In terms of which masters you should pursue - check the website for this office, and see if you can find out what types of roles the people working there tend to fulfill. You'll see a variety of potential options. Even better, as you do the internship, talk to the folks there, and learn about their backgrounds and their roles there. This will guide you.

    In all probability, you'll find that you may want to get a JD. But that really depends on what type of work you decide to do within immigration.

  • 8 years ago

    It would probably be more useful to you when working with immigrants is to learn their language. You would not be teaching English if you were working in the Mayor's office.

  • 8 years ago

    Make peace with New Zealand cause the politicians here are getting really angry with you guys over some cr a p

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.