Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

[Please help.] Why am I so obsessed with mental health?

Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm not a vile or disgusting inconsiderate person, and I apologise if what I say offends anyone. I know an awful lot about mental health and am devoted to my psychology work. I care a lot for people with mental health problems and would really like to train as a psychologist when I go to university in upcoming years.

My parents have always told me I have hypochondria which probably explains why I'm so obsessed with my own health as well as mental health in general.

However I have noticed that I seem to look up symptoms of disorders such as- bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, paranoia, etc. I am almost convinced I have so many mental health problems, but I feel as if I just like to think I have, I really want to have these problems, as horrid as it sounds, I know how crazy I sound.

I've had many big things happen in my life already, even when I'm only 16. I never open up to anyone, only to my counsellor, who resigned. I tend to talk to myself, write letters to myself, generally enjoy my own company. I've tried confiding in my mom, she had a stroke several years ago and doesn't really understand anymore and just shoves problems to the side. My dad hardly sees me anymore.

Basically, I'd love to have all these mental illnesses and I can't understand why? I've had bulimia and depression in the past that I know of.

Any help would be perfect, I have noone to turn to, I don't know where to go.

I think absent any other symptoms you are probably fairly normal for your age and situation. I think you just need some interaction with people and there is probably some basic stuff lacking at home.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy your own company and to like being alone. You would probably do well to study Psychology if you find that field interesting.

I would suggest getting out of the house and making some friends your own age.

Source(s): Real life

I've that too! I imply i don't spend each single second serious about that stuff, however usually i spend hours on the computer researching intellectual disorders, suicides and serial killings. That stuff is SO exciting! Blissful i'm not the only man or woman that is obsessed with that stuff haha!