Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 8 years ago

I' thinking....a rabbit or a hamster?

I have never had a rabbit or a hamster, so I am beginner. I want to get one but don' know which one to get. Please give suggestions and give information on the care and expenses for them. I would also like a list if the things i would have to buy for either one.

Please HELP!!

Well, first off with rabbits, a lot of people can be allergic to their fur, so check for any home allergies. Rabbits live for quite a while, maybe up to ten years. They're good for young kids, but can be a commitment with their life expectancy. They can be very messy and you need to be careful if letting it out of the cage, it will make a mess. They tend to dig up things and chew on anything in sight. They need a special diet, and are a bit disease-prone. They have to be groomed and have their nails clipped. They need much vet care and it can be pricey. Above this, they're quite adorable and fun. Especially if there are any young children in the house. With the high vet price, considering the vets aren't trained in rabbits as much as other animals like cats and dogs, the cheaper option would be a hamster. Honestly, it would be much easier to care for, also. With hamsters, you have to be cleaning the cage a lot, with bedding, wheels, or any add-ons, but the same goes for a rabbit. They wouldn't be harmful for young children, as they are small and not scary in any way, and they're tiny and very cute. It's also said that female rodents seem to not smell like the males do, so remember when purchasing, probably better for a female to be bought. And though both are adorable, watch out. Both can bite. I would say if you're in for a huge commitment and have the money for the outrageously expensive vet appointments, go for the rabbit. But the hamster, as well cute, is much easier and convenient, not to mention cute! I hope this helped.

Ok 2 very different animals here. Hamster: easy, small, short life

Rabbits: Long life (10+years) has needs and they need to meant. If think of rabbit be sure to do lots and lots of research then go to an animal shelter or rabbit rescue and find your perfect bunny.

I would pick rabbit any day but that doesn't mean they are easy and don't let anyone tell you that that cute little tiny tiny bunny in the pet store is going to stay that small. Pet stores will tell you whatever you want to hear

Source(s): Rabbits all my life

Rabbits are fairly easy to take care of. They need basic shelter, food and water like all other animals in addition to 'stretch' time (time to roam outside of the cage) and possibly some grooming (especially for longer haired rabbits, or during molting seasons).

The rabbit house should also have bedding in it, it can be made from newspaper or wood shavings.

Approximate Average Yearly Cost

Pellets (9kg bag) Every 2 months @ $9.00 $ 54.00

Wood Litter Every 3 months @ $5.50 $ 22.00

Fresh veggies & Fruit Every month @ $10.00 $120.00

Timothy Hay 1 10oz. Bag per month $ 51.00

Annual Vet checkup $ 45.00

TOTAL $292.00 a year

Optional Costs

Nail trim Every 2 months @ $10.00 $ 60.00

One Time Costs

Adoption Fee Includes complimentary vet exam within three weeks of adoption, %15 off spay, 10% off neuter $75.00

Spay/neuter (approximate) $ 100.00

Tattoo $ 25.00

Microchip $ 40.00

Dishes/Water Bottle $ 20.00

Brush, Collar & Harness $ 40.00

Habitat/Hutch $100.00

Litter pan & scoop $ 15.00

Small scratching post $ 30.00

Toys $ 20.00

Carrier $ 25.00

Rabbit Care Book $ 15.00

TOTAL $445.00 a year

Source(s): www.reddeerspca.com/cost_rabbit.php www.citygirlfarming.com/Rabbits/RabbitNeeds.html

Well if you plan to spend a lot of time loving and playimh with th pet, get a rwbbot. They live long lives like dogs so you need to be comited to that. Do research on the breed you get so you know what youre doing. I have a polish / lionhead mix so thats my favorite breeds

Supplies:

Pellets (rabbit food. How much you feed them is breed specific. For mime, its 1/8 cup each day. Make sure she has fresh food daily and fresh water all the time

Food bowl (not plastic)

Water bottle OR bowl ( not much differnece, i prefer bottle)

Hay ( alfalfa hay for babies under 8months old. Its bad for adults so timothy hay for them. They meed a unlimited supply of hay, 24/7. Necassary for digestion)

Toys ( rabbits, like dogs, will be destructive when bored. Homemade toys can include those cardbpard rolls when you run out of toilet paper or paper towels. They love to chew on those. Also you can cut a hole in a cardboard box which makes a castle for the bunny. They need chew toys that you can buy. If they dont chew theyll have lifelong dental issues.)

Litter box( google how to litter box train rabbits, NEVER use cedar or pine shaving for it thats poisounes)

Crate( i use a huge dog crafe as a cage where i keep thw food bowl, water, and litter box. I NEVER lock my bunny up in there. Shes free to roam my room 24/7. Thats the only reason she loves going imto her cage when she wants, she knows it wont shut her in. Make sure to bunnyproof the area hell be kept in. Nothing in chewing distance! Esspecialy cables!)

Brush(rabbits need to be brushed weekly)

Claw clippers (like a dog, they grow. Watch out for the quick when cutting the claws)

Vet care (they need to be spayed/neutered and checked up)

You need to be able to provide these things

well hamsters seem more likely to want to be held then rabbits... but rabbits tend to be a bit nicer... if you find a sweet little hamster then id suggest that

Source(s): Small Animal owner