inner and outer brake pad?

i recently changed the front brake pads on a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 2wd 5.3 v8. i put the duralast gold cmax brake pads. and i didnt notice which was inner and outer. so i just put them on just like that. Is that dangerous? i took it for a ride from L.A to Oxnard, california and they seem to work fine. No noise or rattle. Please help me out!

Update:

because 2 pads have 2 metal wear detection and the other pads have 1

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I see what you mean about there being 6 "squealers" altogether, as best I can tell from the (not very) close-up on the website. I hadn't run into this before, but here's my theory.

Usually, there's just one for each side, and those pads go on the outside of the caliper, because the outter pad is more likely to wear out first, if the sliders aren't properly lubricated and hang up. If instead, the piston seizes up, inner and outter both tend to wear out quickly but evenly.

So I'd go with the single squealer pads installed as normal, on the outside, with the squealer pointing in the direction of rotor rotation. I'm thinking the double squealer pads would go on the inboard of the caliper, as they would be more capable of tipping, and having the squealers on both sides would be prudent to detect that.

Source(s): ASE Certified Tech
  • 5 years ago

I have a 2004 Chev Silverado 4WD. The break pad with the single squealer will only fit the inner rotor. The break pad with two squealers had to be installed to the outer side of the rotor.

When I tried to install the break pad with the two squealers to the inner side of the rotor, the break pad would hang up on the caliper.

These break pads fit many vehicles and you may not have the same outcome as I did.

• 8 years ago

One pad with the metal wear clicker goes on the driver side brake and the other pad with the metal clicker on it goes on the passenger side brake. If you didn't change all four pads at the same time then the older pads in there will wear out long before your new pads do and you'll have to do the work again. Better to replace all four at once.

• 8 years ago

Your fine they will only go together one way

Source(s): Mechanic
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JJ
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

They should both be the same.

• 8 years ago

They only fit one way.

• Rob
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

go back and replace the full set or u will blow lots more money shortly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.