Afraid of going to the OBGYN?

Major anxiety about going. Any advice on how to stay calm? Is there anyway to continue getting my birth control without having an examination? I have been once before and the doctor only spoke to me nothing was examined. I am so scared :[ help please?

• Anna
    Favorite Answer

Listen, it's never comfortable. LOL. Some tips to make it easier...

1. Find a doc you are comfortable with. If you prefer a woman, get a woman. I prefer a man.

2. Don't worry about how you "look". They don't care. They're there to make sure you are healthy, not go on a date.

3. Do not be tense. Be a jelly bum when they insert the speculum. If you are tense, it is VERY uncomfortable. Just remember, "jelly bum"...

4. It is over quickly. So, don't be afraid. You don't feel the pap smear really. And it is a life saving test.

Anyway, good luck. You'll do fine.

• Orla C

What will you do when you go to have a pap smear test done? Because if you're sexually active, you're going to need to get them done every couple of years.

Why be scared? The doctor is only human, after all. They'll just check that all is well with you. It's actually good to have them check your bits out to make sure everything is functioning as it should and you're healthy. It is nothing to be scared about.