Ellie asked in TravelFranceOther - France · 7 years ago

Ideas for places to stay in Southern France?

We're considering driving to France this year for our holiday and renting a house. However, we have never been to Southern France before so can anyone give me some place names that would be good for us to stay in? We would like to stay in a town with plenty of bars and restaurants, with a bit of life (we are in our mid thirties so not crazy but not dead!), quite near to some nice beaches. Somewhere that is also not overly expensive (i.e. Cannes or Monaco!!!). Somewhere that gets quite hot in July too would be perfect.

Favorite Answer

You will get the most of your money if you rent an apartment in Nice. It's a wonderful city with plenty to do: bars, restaurants, discos, museums, casinos, etc! I would look for something in Vieux (Old) Nice or around the port.

Besides Nice, I personally would recommend in order:

Eze Village

Villefranche-sur-Mer

Eze-sur-Mer

Beaulieu-sur-Mer

Juan-les-Pins

Antibes (large British expat community here)

Roquebrune-Cap Martin

All of these are FANTASTIC coastal French towns and literally sit on the Mediterranean. They are all small (and as a result, offer nowhere near the amount of things to do as Nice), but are full of culture and are located between Monaco and Cannes; short drive if you want to get out and explore those places. There will be a lot of through-traffic for the millions of tourists going to Monaco, Nice, and Cannes, but the towns themselves shouldn't be too crowded.

Another great place, although not on the coast, is St. Paul-de-Vence. It's a wonderful town and fantastic wine/champagne-tasting venues, in addition to one of the most historic and popular (but pricey) restaurants on the Riviera, La Colombe d'Or (go check out their reviews on TripAdvisor; I wrote one myself)!

Bon courage! Hope this helps!

Source(s): Lived in Monaco for 3 years! :)