STIFLER asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

What stats would you rather have?

1. .385 4HR 88RBIS

Or

2. .260 53HR 125RBIS

Favorite Answer

If I was a GM or a real baseball team, I'd take #1.

Simple reason: Just take a look at guys who have produced those numbers and ask yourself. Which NAME would you take?

Summary of Analysis:

Player #1 - Tony Gwynn, Ichiro Suzuki, Pete Rose, Wade Boggs. Only Gwynn hit above .380 in 1994. So even getting to .385 is an enormous feat. Obviously, you are emphasizing the low power numbers which is why I chose those four guys.

All four of them are HALL OF FAMERS!

Player #2 - Ryan Howard, Mark Reynolds, Jack Cust. Actually those numbers are Jose Bautista's exact stats in 2010. None of them are Hall of Famers. All of them have faded out. Howard couldn't hit breaking balls. Bautista has injury issues. Jack Cust and Mark Reynolds are inconsistent players who regress every year.

53 HRs and 125 RBIs are appealing but that .260 tells you a different story. There's only about 5-7 guys that can bat that high in the last 25 years. All of them hold multiple batting titles and had illustrious careers in the MLB. Meanwhile, it was easy to find low average power guys every single year. They are very common and not worth a long-term contract as history and statistical analysis has proven.

Analysis: Nobody has hit that high since Tony Gwynn in 1994 (.394). Todd Helton (2000), Nomar Garciaparra (2000) and Ichiro Suzuki (2004) all reached .372 in the early 2000s. They've all had very high batting averages throughout their careers so it's already a good sign that player #1 can hit that high. There have been several players that have had .360s in the past few years like Mauer. Someone batting .385 with 88 RBIs means that this guy is a hitting machine and probably leading off. We are talking about a player who can get MORE hits than Ichiro or Pete Rose in their prime. That's just crazy. Guaranteed top-10 MVP vote getter every year with those numbers. So I'm taking him for sure!

Do the math. 600 AB. .385 average gives you 231 hits. In a 162 game season, that's 1.42 hits per game. We don't know his walk/OBP numbers but we are talking about an insane On-Base Percentage.

Let's say he gets 50 walks, 5 HBP, 5 SF (reasonable numbers for high average guys). Add the numbers. OBP = .433

Here's how his OBP would rank the past few years.

2012 - #1

2011 - #3

2010 - #1

2009 - #3

A guy getting on-base 43% of the time he's up there? Not to mention, he is going to at least get a hit or walk every game? (Realistically, he won't hit every game which means that he'll have tons of multi-hit games.)

Player #2 is swinging for the fences most of the time. He probably has a lot of strikeouts with tons of walks.

.260-50-125 reminds me of players like Mark Reynolds and Ryan Howard. In 2009, Reynolds hit .260-44-102. He led the league in strikeouts. From 2007-2009, Ryan Howard averaged 47 HR with .266 and 141 RBIs. Both players regressed as they approached age 30. Also note, both guys couldn't hit breaking balls so teams figured them out very quickly.

In 2010, Jose Bautista hit .260-54-124. He had another good season in 2011 but has sustained injuries since then. It's a pattern with these low average big power guys. Injuries eventually get to them and their level of play significantly drops as they hit age 30. Once their bat speed or flaw gets exposed, it's game over.

For fantasy baseball, of course you take #2. 50 HR players now a days are very rare. Fantasy baseball rewards power hitters especially if you have a player who is top 5 in both HR and RBI. (Think Jose Bautista) It will also mean that he is in the top 10 or 20 in runs scored. That's three categories that he contributes towards. Meanwhile, player #1 will only contribute to one or two categories. (Assuming we are playing a standard 5 x 5 format.)

Source(s): Being a long-time fan.

.260, 53 HR, 125 RBI's DEFINITELY. For me, the biggest part of that is the RBI's. The greater number of RBI's you have the more you are helping your team! Being able to score runs in a game is what is important. Having an average of .385 is great, but that's for you not the team. The more RBI's the more runs you helped the team score which means ultimately, more wins.

Source(s): Division 1 softball player, high school coach

One set of numbers represents a great contact hitter and on base guy while the other represents an elite power hitter. Since baseball is a team game I would take the one that had the best fit for the team leading to the best opportunity to win. And, that could be either one depending on the other players on the team.

• as a fantasy baseball player, i would take #2 because with 53HR and 125RBI i could easily bash some of my opponents with just two players like that in two categories.

• A

2.

2

It appears that #2 is the better team player where as #1 is a great individual player.

Source(s): MLB fan

Obviously the answer you want is No.1.

I like No.2, because he might have more game winning hits, he might draw more intentional walks and I would like to know who's bating behind him.

I still like No.2.

• luby

It surprises me that such a lot of people seem to no longer computer screen approximately Obama’s healthcare plans [a]. during the election, he campaigned for those changes pointing out that he felt it substitute into unfair to have a gadget the place coverage companies attempt to flee paying claims and alter into elected to herald changes [b]. firstly, too many people do no longer understand that Obama needs to make coverage extra attainable to all. His gadget is corresponding to that which suits in Holland, Taiwan [c] and Switzerland. it incredibly works there and private healthcare agencies supply maximum the coverage to the people there. certainty - the u . s . a . spends extra on healthcare consistent with guy or woman than the different united states of america interior the international [d]. certainty – coverage companies admit that they push up expenses, purchase politicians and don't pay out for many claims while they ought to [e]. certainty - the U. S. has greater death costs for toddlers elderly below 5 than western ecu countries with prevalent wellbeing coverage [f]. because of the fact of this a lifeless American 4 year old might have had a extra constructive hazard of existence in the event that they have been born in Canada, France, the Netherlands, Cuba, Switzerland, Germany, Japan etc, all of that have prevalent wellbeing coverage. And no western ecu united states of america with prevalent healthcare has moved faraway from it. And the sorrowful component is, that the coverage companies have spent different money to combat those reforms [g] and different politicians are taking the thirty products of silver from them to combat the reforms, extremely than combat for the wellbeing of the yankee people. bear in recommendations, I back my info up with info. people who say they're incorrect have a tendency to no longer. in the event that they're incorrect, digital mail me with info and permit me understand.

It surprises me that such a lot of individuals look to no longer observe approximately Obama’s healthcare plans [a]. during the election, he campaigned for those ameliorations preserving that he felt it replaced into unfair to have a gadget the place coverage firms attempt to flee paying claims and replaced into elected to usher in ameliorations [b]. in the beginning, too many human beings do no longer understand that Obama desires to make coverage extra attainable to all. His gadget is such as that which is going in Holland, Taiwan [c] and Switzerland. it works there and private healthcare agencies supply maximum the coverage to the folk there. actuality - the u . s . spends extra on healthcare in keeping with guy or woman than the different u . s . interior the international [d]. actuality – coverage firms admit that they push up expenditures, purchase politicians and don't pay out for many claims while they should [e]. actuality - the US has greater dying quotes for toddlers elderly decrease than 5 than western ecu international places with everyday well-being insurance [f]. meaning that a lifeless American 4 year previous could have had a miles better risk of life in the event that they have been born in Canada, France, the Netherlands, Cuba, Switzerland, Germany, Japan and so on, all of that have everyday well-being insurance. And no western ecu u . s . with everyday healthcare has moved removed from it. And the unhappy subject is, that the coverage firms have spent an superb form of money to combat those reforms [g] and an superb form of politicians are taking the thirty products of silver from them to combat the reforms, particularly than combat for the well-being of the american human beings. endure in ideas, I back my data up with evidence. people who say they're incorrect tend to no longer. in the event that they're incorrect, e mail me with evidence and enable me understand.

Contact hitter

or

Power hitter

Probably power hitter