If i were to become a cop in Florida, could i still be a cop if i moved back to Arkansas?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Much of what you learn in the academy is state law and department policy. Because every state has different laws and every department has different policies, you will still need to complete the entire process.

You may have an advantage due to your work experience, but it is unlikely they will give you any short cuts.

Source(s): Law enforcement since 1991
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Olwe
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Are you a cop in Arkansas?. If you are, when you move to Florida you enroll into a local college that handles certification. Florida accepts other states law enforcement training. I was a cop in Wyoming, moved to Florida, had to take a 40hr Florida Law class, then qualify with a firearm and got the Florida certification. If you move to Florida, become a cop and move to Arkansas you would have to contact Arkansas POST. and submit your Florida training for them to review and accept. You would probably have to take some courses to get the certification. good luck

• J.W.
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Some police departments have lateral hiring programs. In most cases, laterals must be from the same state. Some states have what is referred to comparative compliance programs. Comparative compliance training programs are abbreviated police training program designed for previously certified police officers who have been separated from law enforcement for a number of years, and officers from out-of-state who completed an acceptable entrance level academy in another state or through the federal government. Training topics usually include criminal and traffic law, juvenile law and procedures, advanced first aid, and entrance level firearms qualification. Rules and requirements are different depending on the state and the department. Some departments require officers to attend their academy regardless of how many other academies they've been to and regardless of how much experience they already have. Getting law enforcement officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. Best of luck!

• 7 years ago

Assuming that you met the requirements, you would have to start the entire process over again. Transferring to a different department, especially one in a different state, is a long and tedious process. You have to apply and do everything over again, and then wait to be called back. It can take years, especially if the department has a lot of applicants and few open spots.

A friend of mine wanted to a different area, but stayed in the same state. He wouldn't have been able to work for his department, so he applied for the one in the county that he was moving to. It took 4 years for him to get the call back (popular and well paying department).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Yes but you may have to go back and do some training because each state may have different things you have to know according to their state laws. Officers transfer to other states and departments all the time. Each one is different.

Source(s): Work for a Police Dept in KS
  • 7 years ago

I don't think so. Every state and town have different laws so you probably have to pass their police academy in order to be an officer. But you'll probably get the job right away since you have previous police experience

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.