how can i switch ac using semiconductors?

i was wondering if its possible to use my arduino to switch ac power? i would like to stay away from relays. im trying to avoid any moving internal parts. basically im looking to bypass my aquarium heater's internal thermometer, i have a ton of dead heaters that have broken internal thermometers. i want my arduino to sense the temp, and switch the heaters on and off.

thanks for any help...

Update:

so i guess just by the sounds of that i would be using the 5v to run a led, using the led to switch an octocoupler and using the octocoupler to run the triac? is that because the triac needs a higher voltage than 5v to switch on? if thats the only reason wouldnt it just be easier to use a transistor to switch a higher voltage to run the triac?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is an opto-isolator chip that can take the output of a digital 5 volt signal and drive an LED which lights up a circuit that can turn on a triac to power an AC load at up to 8-15 amps depending on the triac rating.

Try searching for:

MOC3021 IC OPTOCOUPLER, TRIAC DRIVER

Source(s): BSEE
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

don't trust all u examine in right here, some electric powered circuits can artwork immediately with AC eg electric powered followers and electric powered vehicles and so forth. besides a working laptop or computer circuit can not artwork with AC via certainty it isn't designed to artwork with it ie the CPU and all diverse factors at the board are designed with DCpersistent in recommendations, if u surpassed direct AC u'll finally end up blowing up the board and in accordance to threat recieving a bit electric powered marvel too. as for transistor and AC passage, it matter at the form of transistor, it would try to enlarge the AC or try to straighten it up to DC

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.