How do I kill aphids without using harmful insecticides?

Hi, I live in a condo with a decent sized balcony were I have a beautiful rose tree that's started blooming. However all over every one of the roses are nasty little aphids! Tons of them in all sizes! (I'm on the second story and haven't had any in the past year I've lived here!!) I don't... show more Hi, I live in a condo with a decent sized balcony were I have a beautiful rose tree that's started blooming. However all over every one of the roses are nasty little aphids! Tons of them in all sizes! (I'm on the second story and haven't had any in the past year I've lived here!!)
I don't want to use insecticides because personally I am SUPER sensitive to them, and I live with two dogs and two cats whom I don't want to risk getting into the poison.
The balcony is their potty area while I'm at work so it's not really do-able to block them inside.
I remember once my mom sprayed her garden with soapy water, but I think that was to get rid of these little white flies or gnats that left a white film, not sure if it would be effective against aphids...
Thanks for the help!