How do I kill aphids without using harmful insecticides?

Hi, I live in a condo with a decent sized balcony were I have a beautiful rose tree that's started blooming. However all over every one of the roses are nasty little aphids! Tons of them in all sizes! (I'm on the second story and haven't had any in the past year I've lived here!!)

I don't want to use insecticides because personally I am SUPER sensitive to them, and I live with two dogs and two cats whom I don't want to risk getting into the poison.

The balcony is their potty area while I'm at work so it's not really do-able to block them inside.

I remember once my mom sprayed her garden with soapy water, but I think that was to get rid of these little white flies or gnats that left a white film, not sure if it would be effective against aphids...

Thanks for the help!

Favorite Answer

Ladybugs for one.

Here are some tried-and-true organic methods for getting rid of aphids:

1. If you have a small infestation, simply wipe the aphids off with your hand or a soft cloth. Check back every day or two and repeat until you stop seeing them.

2. A blast of water from the hose is often all you need to get rid of aphids. Again, you'll want to repeat this after a couple of days if you see any more aphids on your plants.

3. Insecticidal soap works very well on aphids, and is a good choice if you find that wiping or spraying them off with water just isn't cutting it. Make sure you get the undersides of the leaves, too -- that's often where they congregate.

4. Homemade sprays, such as those made from tomato leaves or garlic oil, work very well on even large aphid infestations. You'll want to apply these treatments when there's no rain in the forecast, and out of strong sunlight (morning is a good time to do this.) Also, you'll want to keep in mind that these are non-selective pesticides, so they will harm any beneficials in the area as well -- use them sparingly. I have recipes for both the tomato leaf spray and the garlic oil spray link below.

5. Consider introducing beneficial insects, especially ladybugs and their larvae, into your garden. They are voracious predators and will clean up an aphid infestation in no time.

• Sean M

Try Neem Oil!

Soapy water will work, but depending on the size of your aphid infestation, it may not be as effective. Ladybugs are a great alternative as well, but eventually they will fly away, and if the aphids return you'll need to buy another expensive bag of ladybugs!

Neem oil works wonders for me. It is a non-harmful and completely organic insecticide. It will kill anything from aphids to whiteflies (and anything in-between), fungi, can be used on almost any plant (fruit tree, bush, hedge, vegetables, house plant etc) and at the same time it won't harm your beneficial insects (such as honey bees).

And the best part...being an organic product, you can spray it on your vegetables/fruits in the morning and eat them the same day without having to worry about any harmful effects like you would see with other non-organic insecticides.

Neem oil is a very safe and effective product!

Source(s): Growing tons of plants and fruit trees on my property...I also have a dog who wanders my garden all the time. Finally discovered a safe product called neem oil and haven't gone back!
  • Jrbott

Pour water over them to knock them off. (NOT hot water!) Use a hose if available. Look for some ladybugs on other plants so you can transplant them to your rose tree. They love the little aphids and will wipe them out in no time. Research Neem Oil as it kills a lot of bugs by being absorbed into the plant then into the bugs as they suck the juices.

Get a spray bottle and make up a mix of a few teaspoons of dishwashing liquid and water. Spray all over your roses and this should take care of your aphid problems.

Do not rinse off.

Spray Glue! Not really I only use that on Black Widow Spiders... Spray them with soapy water. You might have to spray a couple times a week until they are gone but that is what I use. Tell Mom she did the right thing.

• Ladybugs! They are cute, cheery, and love to munch aphids.

I found this website for you with tips on using ladybugs for aphid control. You can order ladybugs from them through the mail. http://www.thebeneficialinsectco.com/aphid-control...

Good luck!

Source(s): Ladybug info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladybug

Aphids are just bugs.

Bugs are not the real problem.

Get over yourself.

Source(s): Haiku class! =D
  • Reg

go to a florist, and buy a clump of lady-bugs. They will look after the aphids for you!

Source(s): 75 yrs on the planet

The solution: Go out and buy lots of ladybugs. There are places where you can get them online and shipped to your house.