Are pasta nutrition facts for cooked or uncooked?

Yesterday someone had mentioned in conversation that boiling takes a lot of the nutrition out of the food. This made me wonder, do the nutrition facts on the back of a pasta box contain boiled or unboiled nutrition? My favorite whole grain pasta has 200 cal, 6g of fiber, and 7g of protein, that's not too bad! But I would feel yucky if that wasn't what I was really getting.

Also, if the nutrition facts are pre-boiled, how much do you think is lost? Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • James
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

NO. It doesn't change, not with pasta anyway. The nutrition info is the same cooked or dry. Cooking simply causes the gluten in the pasta to become elastic and easy to eat. It's made from a processed flour.

Boiling CAN deprive certain foods of nutrition, but mostly vegetables or other plants. Plant cells are tough, so a short amount of cooking softens them up so your teeth and digestive process can open them up and get the nutrients inside. But if you keep boiling them, the cells explode on their own, and all those nutrients go into the hot water, where the heat transforms them into bad tasting and bad for you compounds (that's how mustard gas was invented). The best way to avoid this is cook veggies with steam or only boil them for a short amount of time. If you like them soft and you boil them longer, then the best nutrition actually comes from drinking the water you boiled them in (after it has cooled down), and that is actually called "pot-liquor" believe it or not. Great with a tea bag or while still hot.

Source(s): Good Eats season 8 Episode 21: "Field of Greens" ...about 8 minutes in.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

There is a specific amount of time one needs to boil pasta to make it edible. This is shown on the box - usually 7 minutes in hot water. The nutrition is based on the recommended cook time......for boiled pasta without adding salt or oil or any other condiment to it.

• 4 years ago

You do not need this kind of generalized view of 'boxed breakfast cereals'. That factor can be the place i'd begin to now not find your point very worth being attentive to. Shredded wheat for example is a boxed cereal with none of the problems you state. You shouldn't generalize them, however as a substitute state what you dislike concerning the distinct kind of cereal. Your argument holds various actuality. However I used to be lovely certain most folks realized it already, however ate the cereal considering they liked it, no longer on account that of its nutritional benefits (as dangerous as that is). The main issue is just not in your argument, however in the way in which that you simply put it forth. Don't be so aggressive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.