How do you recognize VERY MILD autism in a 15 year old?

We are considering testing (based on professionals' advice). I know she has trouble with school work -- grammar, basic math, etc. Socially challenged. Has problems connecting actions with consequences, although we've been VERY thorough in our behavioral disciplines, etc. ("If you are late, you lose two extra minutes of curfew for every one minute," etc.) But I still don't know if this is behavior or autism.

Can someone help me understand MILD autism? Because she's never done circles or head-banging, and she started talking EARLY, not late. Thanks.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Although Asperger's has been wiped off the map by the DSM-V and integrated into the whole of Autism, there's no doubt that it is separate from the usual definition of Autism. Asperger's is the non-PC term for High Functioning Autism (HFA). Many of us frown on such terms, though, to tell you the truth, that's exactly what Asperger's is -- HFA.

I'm afraid you're the victim of some stereo-typing of the condition. Generally, Aspies don't have a speech delay. The stims (such as turning circles) are much broader behaviors. For instance, mine are fiddling with things -- spinning objects, folding and refolding paper, and tapping my feet. Not all of us have problems learning, though we will tend to focus on certain favorite subjects to the exclusion of others. And discipline? LOL, Aspies tend to be contemptuous of rules and authority, so punishment is moot.

You don't mention if she has sensory difficulties. Many of us are sensitive to sounds, light, odors, tastes, touch.

Here's a blog of my traits: http://circlecsc.blogspot.com/p/gambelis-offal.htm...

Don't concentrate on the term MILD autism or even HFA. Many of the aspects of the spectrum can range and be displayed anywhere from 0.01% to 100%. Where your daughter is in there can greatly vary -- IF indeed she is on the spectrum.

Get her evaluated and you read up.

There's a book list below. Take much of what is written with a grain of salt and don't let certain aspects scare you. Every aspie is different.

Be careful about the internet sites you visit. Any site that claims Autism is caused by voodoo (other than genetics) is fraudulent. Any site that claims there's a cure is fraudulent (though early intervention can improve symptoms). The organization Autism Speaks does not speak for us.

NOTES:

Rudy Simone is Aspie herself and very astute.

Most of us on the spectrum resent NTs (neurotypicals aka non-autistics) trying to get into our heads -- even the experts can only interpret what we experience.

Source(s): The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood Pretending to be Normal by Liane Holliday Willey Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight by Sharon Heller Asperger's and Girls by Tony Atwood, Temple Grandin plus 7 more experts Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome by Rudy Simone Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence by Luke Jackson -- pre-read and decide if it's appropriate for your child. Solutions for Adults With Asperger Syndrome by Juanita P. Lovett, Ph.D. Finding a Different Kind of Normal/Misadventures with Asperger Syndrome by Jeanette Purkis Wired Up Wrong by Neil Shepherd
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.