Joiya
Joiya asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 8 years ago

Opinions on Irish names?

Hello!

I have recently come across some older Irish names that I think are amazing... but I don't know if that is just my quirky opinion.

I read most of them in a Celtic murder mystery series... so they are older and relatively rare Gaelic names. Though the spellings seem to be more modern and easy to pronounce:

BOYS:

Enda

Ardal

Fintan

Donal

Clancy

Turlough

Coleman

Mahon

Moylan

GIRLS:

Nuala - Noola

Emer - Ee-mer

Aoife - Ee-fa

Brig

Slaney

Finnuala - Finoola

Maeve

Siofra - Shee-fra

Just wondering what you all think of these names (not naming any babies with them)... Criticism welcome, but please be respectful. Thanks!

• Ambren
    Favorite Answer

Fintan is alright, I know a woman who named her child that (spelled differently, but sounds the same). Also, I've heard of a Donal. I've never heard of any of the others for the boys, and only Coleman sounds okay in America (if you live here, anyway).

Aoife is alright, I've seen it on this sight plenty. Brig might seem strange since it's an actual word here, like a prison. Maeve is better, and probably my favorite name on this list.

Sorry if I was offensive, but I think my opinion was probably the overall feelings of me and the people I know.

• koenen

i admire Caoimhe! Lily looks very stunning with it yet is amazingly person-friendly. you ought to attempt: Caoimhe Rhiannon Caoimhe Imogen Caoimhe Poppy Caoimhe Rosalie Caoimhe Sadie i admire India. i think of Indie is an stunning nickname yet to me that may no longer an entire call. i admire (i've got tried to maintain the techniques for those Irish or a minimum of Gaelic/Celtic so the aggregate works properly with Caoimhe): India Maeve India Brighid India Bridie (of course greater anglicized and greater nicknamey whether it relatively is stunning) India Roisin India Bronwen India Rowan =]

If you are in Ireland they might be ok. If you are in America, PLEASE NO! The first things someone will say is HUH?

Source(s): grandma / owner of WEIRD spelled name ALWAYS honest!