Hanging Drywall to hire or do myself?

I have a poorly insulated house and I would like to start going from room to room, re insulating and dry walling. I dont know if i should pay someone to do it or get my experienced friends together and we do it, I dont know what the price difference between hiring someone and doing it by myself. my first room is roughly 12 x 20

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

I'd leave the sheetrock alone and add more insulation inside the attic first to see if that makes a big difference. It usually does since most heat gain and loss occurs thru the ceilings.

Windows come in second if single glazed and are poorly sealed against their frames. There's companies all over the states that will make and install well insulated vinyl windows for a very reasonable price. If the windows are single glazed but in good condition, there's reflective films which are applied to the glass to reflect heat.

Only the exterior walls will have insulation behind the drywall. It's probably R-19 which what you'll be installing so why bother? Instead you could overlay the existing drywall with a foil backed 1/2" drywall. The metal foil acts as a thermal barrier to reflect heat and cold plus serves as a vapor barrier. It can be installed stood up with adhesive and nailed along the top and bottom with a few in the field. Just pull the base and window trim before installing then reset when done. Commercial drywall suppliers should carry that type of rock and have more performance information.

If you have central HVAC then you should check the ductwork for leaks and bad insulation covers. You could be heating and cooling the attic or crawl space along with the house.

You and your friends should be able to do all the above. I'd start with the ductwork then add the attic insulation. The first walls to overlay should be those that get direct sunlight then those that stay shaded.

Source(s): 34 years painting and remodeling homes.
  • Drew

The ceiling will be the worst part, if that is part of your plan. The walls are no problem. Me and a buddy can hang about 30 sheets of 4x8 1/2" drywall in an 8-9 hour day. A room your size will take about 16 sheets or so for the walls, not factoring in for any waste (add about 10-20%). Even at 20 sheets, you and 1 friend can hang it in a day. When you hang each sheet, just get about 8 screws into each sheet and move on to the next. You can go back later by yourself and fill in the rest of the screws. Don't use nails or you will be fixing nail pops forever.

If you are doing the ceiling, you will want to buy/rent a drywall lift or have 2 extra people on hand. You'll need 2 people to hold the drywall while you get some screws in it. Again, don't put every screw in. On ceiling sheets, you will need about 5 per short side and and 2-3 in each ceiling joist to hold them up.

I did a large addition project, 50 sheets on the ceiling, 75 sheets on the walls. I bought a lift (about $180 delivered to my door) and did the ceiling by myself. I had a friend help for 3 Saturdays on the walls. Wasn't too much of a pain and I saved quite a bit in labor.

Source(s): I did an addition on my own house and have helped many people with drywall over the years.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Hanging Drywall to hire or do myself?

I have a poorly insulated house and I would like to start going from room to room, re insulating and dry walling. I dont know if i should pay someone to do it or get my experienced friends together and we do it, I dont know what the price difference between hiring someone and doing it by myself. my...

Source(s): hanging drywall hire myself: https://bitly.im/6FxYM

Have you considered blown in insulation? You wouldn't have to rip down the drywall, only patch the holes that are made when they blow it in (usually on the outside wall).