Can I request a different licensed plate for no charge?

About 5 months ago I purchased a car. When I registered it at the DMV I got a licensed plate having the sequence 5WAG. This looks very similar to the slang word, "swag." When I first got it, I didn't really care and found it quite comical. However, I have since been pulled over more times than I had ever before been and the cops seem to be a bit more rude to me. I could be wrong but I think that, because of my license plate, they might be pegging me as some sort of arrogant young a--hole.

Normally there's a fee to change a license plate, but I was wondering if there was some system where I could make a claim that the license plate is somehow discriminatory or offensive? I still don't really care enough to really do anything about it at this time, but I'm just curious if anyone had some insight on this?

2 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    It depends on your state. Some states will let you trade it in for a different one without a fee. Another option is to "upgrade" to a number plate. In my state you pay an additional $5 and get a 4-digit number plate. Or maybe you want to obtain a special limited edition plate. Or get a personalized plate. There are many ways to obtain a new license plate. Your best bet is to contact DMV/RMV in your state to find out the options available to you.

    Good luck.

    Source(s): I'm an auto insurance claims adjuster and agent.
  • 8 years ago

    throw one plate out. and return the other one and say it was stolen

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.