Can I request a different licensed plate for no charge?

About 5 months ago I purchased a car. When I registered it at the DMV I got a licensed plate having the sequence 5WAG. This looks very similar to the slang word, "swag." When I first got it, I didn't really care and found it quite comical. However, I have since been pulled over more times than I had ever before been and the cops seem to be a bit more rude to me. I could be wrong but I think that, because of my license plate, they might be pegging me as some sort of arrogant young a--hole.

Normally there's a fee to change a license plate, but I was wondering if there was some system where I could make a claim that the license plate is somehow discriminatory or offensive? I still don't really care enough to really do anything about it at this time, but I'm just curious if anyone had some insight on this?

Favorite Answer

It depends on your state. Some states will let you trade it in for a different one without a fee. Another option is to "upgrade" to a number plate. In my state you pay an additional $5 and get a 4-digit number plate. Or maybe you want to obtain a special limited edition plate. Or get a personalized plate. There are many ways to obtain a new license plate. Your best bet is to contact DMV/RMV in your state to find out the options available to you.

Good luck.

Source(s): I'm an auto insurance claims adjuster and agent.

throw one plate out. and return the other one and say it was stolen