Denied unemployment because my husband owns a business not me I don't no anything about his business?

i was laid off i do not own the business the edd says your husband does and that community property they wont pay me because my husband owns a business and been laid off my job the business is his.so my social security is affected to Why am I paying this **** for. If its that why then my social security earning's is higher

• Favorite Answer

Were you laid off FROM his business? If so, you were never going to be eligible for unemployment and should not have been paying.

You should talk with a lawyer who specializes in unemployment.

What they're saying is that he owns the business, therefor you also own the business. But there may be a way around that. This stuff is complicated, and you really need someone who specializes in unemployment.

If you where employed by your husbands business, then you weren't really an employee, your an owner. If you where employed at another business then I think you can get unemployment. But I think your going to have to fight with them a bit.

Either way, you need a lawyer who can go over all the details and make an assessment.

Social Security is not unemployment. SS is a Federal program. Unemployment is a State administered insurance. You would not be denied unemployment if you were laid off from another business and had paid unemployment insurance. The requirements for who does have to pay for unemployment insurance vary by State. But if you also worked at the family business and were being paid you could be denied.

I was self employed for many years. My wife did not work at my business. When she was laid off she collected unemployment.

Social Security AIN'T Unemployment Insurance, you need to verify if whomever hired and fired you were paying Unemployment Insurance For you or if you were hired as an "Independent Contractor"; Among other reasons, You can't collect back what you never paid in, and from what I'm deciphering it appears your husband's business venture hired you as an independent contractor specifically to avoid the hassles of their having to handle Unemployment Insurance paperwork.

• Mentor

Just follow the appeal procedure and you will be ok. Explain that you have covered employment.

does he have other employees or is he the sole employee of his business..

I would appeal for sure.