Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentEmbassies & Consulates · 8 years ago

Will the US embassy help a US citizen stranded in nigeria get home,she has a. US check that she cannot cash?

The US will the US embassy help a US citizen stranded in nigeria get home,she has a. US check that she cannot cash it. Would the US help her get the funds to get home? Or is there any advice I can get to help her?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course the US Embassy will help. They have a dedicated office at the Embassy called American Citizen Services (ACS) that exists solely for assisting Americans in that country who are ill, victims of crime, need money, etc. The Embassy has a cashier that can cash checks. The Embassy will contact the person's bank and credit card companies back home to try and get a temporary increased credit limit ir overdraft. They can also arrange what's called an Emergency Repatriation Loan to get a citizen home if there are no other options. The Embassy will NEVER leave an American stranded abroad

But you are dealing with a typical scam

-you cannot enter Nigeria on a one way ticket so she would already have a flight home

-you cannot enter Nigeria without being sponsored by a Nigerian citizen or company who assumes financial responsibility and ensures you leave the country, so this sponsor is required to provide her money

I can guarantee when you contact the ACS office they will verify there is NO American by that name who has ever been granted a visa to Nigeria and that you are the victim of a cruel romance scam, one they hear about 10 times a day at he embassy as Nigeria is one if the main countries for romance scammers. Their email is LagosACS@state.gov. Give them ALL of the information about your friend that you have, full name, email, phone number, home town, employer in Nigeria, last known address, circumstances why they need help

Want to prove its a scam. Write back to your friend to say that you have been on the phone for the past half hour with a very nice lady/man in the American Citizen Services office at the Embassy. Say that the Embassy is going to assist her. Tell her that you gave the Embassy her name, email and phone number and they are going to contact her first thing Monday morning to set up an appointment at the Embassy where they will assist her, get her money, and make sure she boards the plane to get home. Then just wait for the excuses, if they even bother contacting you again

• slone
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Us Embassy In Nigeria

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

American Embassy In Nigeria

• Mary
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

There are international banks that can cash it, but she'd have to deposit it and wait a certain amount of time, as the bank would put a hold on it. If she has an account and has money to cover the check, she could cash it that way, but she wouldn't be able to use the check itself until it cleared.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

will the US embassy help a US citizen stranded in nigeria to get home they went to work over there but they sent the check to me which i can't cash it to help them get home and he has his 7year old son with them

• 8 years ago

Usually yes, if hardship is clearly the case. However, this question is easily answered by going to the American Embassy and asking.

With such an easy way to answer, why would you put a question here anyway?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

This is a well known scam. Once you send money you'll never hear from her again.The embassy will aid a citizen in distress - that's where she should be going.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

forget it .. its a regular scam ..we see it at least once a week

do a basic check if you know the person ... they will be home in the US

the Consulate would be give help if genuine ..

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Can anyone tell what is the correct answer for this question?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I am good friends with the Nigerian finance minister. I can help!!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.