What do you know about Christianity?

Christianity itself has evolved over the centuries. In order to survive it has had to change and adapt. Many religions and many branches of Christianity have become extinct over the centuries. In order to survive, Christianity has had to merge with the cultures of other religions. For example, Christmas is not a Christian holiday. Christmas was originally Yule and people cut down and decorated trees long before Christ was born. Easter had nothing to do with Christ rising from the dead. Easter was a pagan fertility ritual where pagans prayed to the Gods for reproduction and food. Hence, the rabbits and the eggs.

Favorite Answer

A lot of bloodshed across a millennium. The Catholic church was detrimental in this bloodshed. Spanish Inquisition, all the crap that happened after the fall of Rome which was considered advanced civilization (the Dark Ages cam after), followed by huge changes. You got the VAAAASSSTT amount of translations, small example including Geneva, Tyndale, and King James which, ironically, was a homosexual. Missing scriptures and scriptures like the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. Stuff like the Salem Witch Trials, I could go on and on and on...I still believe, but its harder to knowing that men directly cited from it to justify what we would deem as horrible, and what we now gloss over as metaphorical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Bible...

Rabbi Jesus states in Matthew 5:17-20 that he was Not here to start a new religion; but to fix the Jewish one. And requires us to obey ALL of the Commandments that God gave to Moses. That is ALL 613 of them. In Acts "Christians met in the Synagogues "in the evenings".

In 305/6 A.D. 29 lazy men started the next Christian religion and named it Catholic. The first Roman Caesar Constantine about 350 A.D. ordered beliefs of th fake sun-god to be added to the CAtholic church. Because the people that believed the sun was a god (why the day is named "sunday" is after this fake god) were having "fun" murdering the Christians that stood out dressed up on Saturdays. If you look at the oldest Catholic churches from back then, you can see the sun even carved on their walls. And some of their false beliefs had been ordered into the CAtholic church...

With the invention of the printing press, people read how Far from the Bible was the Catholic church, so New, then more obedient, religions came to be....

Source(s): Bible, history

It amazes me or it actually don't amaze me is that people like yourself look at Christianity from the secular what the world tells you that Christianity is without truly knowing what it is. Some even say that of Muslim but you are not speaking about Muslims you are speaking about Christianity. Yet you have no true understanding, you take what society and worldly minds have told you, and you have swallowed it like a proverb and you continue to swallow the garbage because that is what feeds your excuse. The point is that you are filled with poison and until you get rid of that which is poisoning your mind and look at the true Christianity in the light of the gospels you would truly find a gospel that is more alive than you are prepared to find.

You are like the person who sees a dirty window and says that the house is filthy from looking on the outside not knowing what is on the inside of the building before giving your judgement

Christmas Tree

Why do you not see one source for Pagan decorated trees? Because there are none.

The first historical mention of a decorated Christmas tree was in 1605 at Strasburg, and it was not introduced to France and England until 1840. This is not an ancient pagan practice. This is not even an ancient Christian practice. This is a relatively modern Christian tradition. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm

Christmas

Setting the date of Jesus’ birth on December 25 lies in the determination of Jesus’ death at Passover.

Around 200 C.E. Tertullian of Carthage calculated that the 14th of Nisan (the day of the crucifixion according to the Gospel of John) in the year Jesus died was equivalent to March 25 in the Roman (solar) calendar.

At the time, Jesus was believed to have been conceived and crucified on the same day of the year, March 25. So the date of Jesus' birth became exactly nine months later on December 25.

By the way, March 25 is still celebrated as the Feast of the Annunciation, the commemoration of Jesus’ conception.

Whatever the real date of Jesus' birth really was, Christmas (the Mass of Christ) is (and always has been) the Eucharistic celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, God the Son.

The angel said to them,

"Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For today in the city of David a savior has been born for you who is Messiah and Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger."

And suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying:

"Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests."

(Luke 2:10-14)

Easter

The English word "Easter" relates to the name of the month in which the Holy Day was celebrated in ancient England, a month which may have been named after a Pagan goddess of spring.

The great feast of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ was celebrated long before the unchristian English word "Easter" was first used. And the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is directly related to the Jewish feast of Passover going back to about 3,000 B.C.E.

Most other languages use the Jewish/Christian word for "Passover" for the great celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ that English speakers call "Easter."

The Greek term for "Passover" is Páskha. It is the Aramaic form of the Hebrew pesach (meaning passover). Other languages:

Afrikaans: Paasfees

Albanian: Pashkët

Breton: Pask Seder

Catalan: Pasqua

Chamorro: Pasgua

Cornish: Pask

Danish: Påske or Paaske

Dutch: Pasen or Paschen

Esperanto: Paskon

Finnish: Pääsiäistä

French: Pâques

Galician: Pascuas

Icelandic: Páska

Indonesian: Paskah

Italian: Pasqua

Jèrriais: Pâques

Latin: Pascha

Norwegian: Påske

Portuguese: Páscoa

Russian: Pascha

Scottish: Pask

Sicilian: Pasqua

Spanish: Pascuas

Swahili: Pasaka

Swedish: Påsk

Welsh: Pasg

Even in the German provinces of the Lower Rhine where the Teutonic goddess Estre had its origins, the people call the feast Paisken not Ostern.

The popular observance of Easter has incorporated a couple of pagan symbols of fertility in rabbits and eggs but they have nothing to do with the actual celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. If some Christians want to do away with Easter bunnies and Easter eggs then I have no problem with that but do not throw Jesus Christ out with them.

====

Just because a Christian Holy Day lands near or on the same day of the year as a Pagan holiday does not mean that that Christian Holy Day is "based on Paganism" or is "worshiping Satan."

With the thousands of Pagan religions all over the world which have been practiced for thousands of years, there is probably at least one (if not more than one) Pagan holiday for everyday of the year.

Using that logic:

+ Christians could never celebrate anything on any day of the year.

+ Anyone celebrating a loved one's birthday on April 20 is celebrating Hitler's birthday because coincidentally, Hitler was born on the same day.

With love in Christ.

• Lynn

I was a deeply passionate Christians for 30+ years. I studied the Bible on a level that would have melted most people's brains.

My questions kept getting deeper, and fluffy faith based answers just no longer cut it. Once I started researching the real history of the Bible and Christianity was what turned me into an agnostic. The Christians here at R&S drove me over the edge into full blown atheism. I can't believe I was once like them. Really embarrassing.

• jurgen

Christianity was a mistake.

Consider a religion which grew from another and yet in many ways, it is not the same as the one from which it grew.

What do you call it? In science, we call this a tumor.

Not all christianities have changed too much. And the holidays am be celebrated on pagan days, but they're Christian reasons. So they aren't pagan.

What people believe may evolve, but the Bible remains the same text that was copied nearly 2000 years ago. I don't base my beliefs on what people say or believe, I base it upon what my Spirit-led interpretation of the Bible shows me.

Christianity is based on mythology.

I know that Christianity simply means that someone has put their faith into Jesus Christ for everlasting life.

It is a relationship with God rather than a religion. =)