Debbie =] asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

Am I schizophrenic or have mental disorder?

I feel like I am. I don't really have enough to see a doctor...but based upon reading Wikipedia I feel like I am.

I'm very lazy. I don't feel motivated to do anything. I don't have a steady job. Been unemployed for ages. Crappy weather just makes me want to stay in and again I don't really do anything. I play games on my iPhone all day. I don't have any hobbies. So i just play games. I dont have very many friends for that matter. I'm quite weird. I'm insanely jealous and insecure. I'm bored all the time but I lack motivation to do anything about it. I get mad quickly about really small things. Things normal people would just brush off. I feel like sometimes I create or make up things just to have an argument with someone. I'm pretty socially awkward aswell. We can be having a in depth conversation about The Economy and then I'll randomly ask. "Hey have you seen a so and so video on YouTube." I feel like I lie alot and am also depressed sometimes.

So yeah that's me pretty much. My mom was properly diagnosed with it and I think some of it may have trickled down to me in the gene pool. I don't have voices in my head or talk to myself. And I don't see things that aren't there...but these things aren't normal I feel...so I thought I would ask if I had it.

If anyone can let me know what's up that would be appreciated. Thanks for reading all this too...I know it sounds whiny and like im complaining but it's really hard to change if you have some sort of mental problem. I think I have something I just don't know if it's schizophrenia or just something else.

And yes I will see a doctor when I can afford to and get properly diagnosed.

Thanks.

• Katie
    Favorite Answer

What you've described is voluntary. Schizophrenia and its symptoms are all involuntary. In further explanation:

Laziness, no hobbies, unemployment, playing games, feelings (jealousy, anger, insecurity), boredom, creating arguments, and lying are all voluntary - you practically have control over what happens to cause these things.

Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder that patients such as myself suffer from and have absolute no control over. Even medication sometimes doesn't work. These things you've listed are so unrelated to Schizophrenia I almost wanted laugh and close this window and not answer, I'm sorry. I don't find these things you're going through funny, but the fact that you would get the conclusion of Schizophrenia out of these things is ridiculous. It seems as if you have no idea what Schizophrenia actually is. A suggestion to you before you see a doctor is to actually learn about these mental illnesses instead of working yourself up over these little common things.

All in all, there really doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with your mental health based from these things. There are millions of people who are just the same.

Also, voices are not in our heads. They sound as real as talking to a person in front of you.

I don't think your problem is having a mental disorder that makes it hard to change, I believe it's just your lazy and unmotivated nature that doesn't want you to do anything about these problems that are getting you down. If a mental disorder is what you came here looking for, the best I can say is depression. Even with a Schizophrenic parent, a person's chances of having this mental disorder are nearly as close as people with no Schizophrenic relatives.

• DeAnne

If you’re a teen, remember that the teen years are the absolute worst time of your life. I'm surprised any of us survive it. You are struggling with so much stress, pressures, changes... Your body and mind are trying to cope but ... it's hard.

The brain is a very complicated and delicate thing. It can get messed up and be unable to produce any or enough serotonin. This is called a chemical imbalance which is easily treated, very common and nothing to be ashamed of.

It can cause depression, anxiety, panic, obsession, self harm/self hatred, suicidal thoughts, eating disorders, sleeping problems, aggression/rage, anger, phobias, fears, helplessness/hopelessness, hypochondria, ADHD, paranoia, OCD, headaches, lack of interest in things, lack of motivation/ focus and much more.

Go to a dr. and ask for anti-depressants. Zoloft/Sertraline is a good one; most people thrive on it and it has no side effects. With antidepressants, you will be much better, happier, calmer, confident, safer and feel normal. What a difference it makes!

Therapists are mostly a waste of time and money. They aren’t even allowed to prescribe appropriate meds to help you get better.

Don’t stop taking the meds once you start to feel better. You need them, so stay on them. video and phone games will quickly mess up your mind. So either stop or cut down to two a day.

But meds can do only so much. God is the ONLY one who knows what you’re thinking, how you’ve struggled and what you’re going thru. He loves you passionately and wants to be your BFF. He has a super-deluxe custom-made plan for your life that’s beyond anything you ever dreamed of. BUT He waits for us to ask. Invite Him into your heart; ask Him to take over your life and your problems.

Find a big, happy church, attend some groups and have fun. Talk with the pastor or youth pastor; he probably deals with this a lot and will have some good ideas. God loves you more than you can possibly imagine!! :)