What's my possible score on the ASVAB?

I got a 49 on the practice test. I want to aim for a higher score, like around a 70. I've been told that if you get a 70 or higher you can qualify for any jobs in the military. I want to join the Air Force. But I am gonna study more to get a higher score, but what are still the possibilities?

Favorite Answer

The practice test is a very small simulated fraction of what the actual ASVAB will be like. It only stands to reason that the smaller the number of questions, the lower your score will be with each question you get wrong. On the actual ASVAB, you'll probably get 10-20 points higher.

Usually people do about 5 points better on the actual test than they do on the practice test. If you're looking to do the Air force you're going to need a much better score than a 49 to get a decent job. The score you speak of is your overall score for the ASVAB, however it is divided further into line scores. These scores are how well you did on individual categories. A few examples would be general technical, electronics, reading comprehension, mechanical, etc. These scores are mostly what the specific jobs are looking for if you wish to qualify for that job. Obviously higher line scores will bring up your overall average. Getting a 70 on your ASVAB will hardly qualify you for any job. The ASVAB scores up to 99 points. 70 is still a good score and will open the doors to many jobs, but not all of them. You should speak to a recruiter about a particular job you are interested in and they will tell you the score needed to get that job. Using that score should give you an idea of how far away you are from achieving your goal. Good luck. Don't forget to speak to a recruiter.

Source(s): Marine veteran. 94 on my ASVAB. My brother is currently a recruiter.

Study guides are a waste of time for the most part. When I recruited, the best improvement I ever saw was 15% when someone used the study guide.

What you need to do, if you want a 70 or better, is to attend remedial math or English courses offered through an adult education course or community college.

Source(s): Army Recruiting Veteran

Get to your local public library and checkout an ASVAB study guide book. There are tons of resources, its just how you use them. Its also easier if you're in school. I didn't study for mine because I'm in school now, but I managed to get a solid 75