Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 8 years ago

Why does human hair keep growing but animal fur stops?

Kind of like the hair on our arms/legs. If anyone knows please explain!

• Sam
    Favorite Answer

Let me shed some light on that question. I don't shed, my hair just falls out. It's all in the DNA.

Source(s): Me: Male with hair to the middle of my back.

Its because of the core of the hair. Animal fur simply grows to a certain length and then falls out an regrows. Its a diff growth pattern than our hair

Source(s): Myself

All hair (and fur) keeps growing. However, some hairs have a longer lifespan (your head hair) and some have a shorter lifespan (your eyelashes). Once the hair dies, it falls out and is replaced. If you ever had a dog like a husky, that sheds like mad, you would be all too well aware of the growth and death of fur. I had one and was perpetually cleaning up hair/fur.

Actually, human hair does stop growing at one point. For head hair, it stops growing after 4-5 if you are a male, of 7-8 if you are a female. The reason why we have so much long hair in our head may be because in the dawn of humans, males preferred to mate with females with long hair.

Source(s): Vsauce, Captain Obvious