Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 8 years ago

Do you know of any retouch method comparison books, videos, or websites?

Most online videos, tutorials or blogs demonstrate how to do something in one way and give no comparison to other methods or why one is more advantageous over another. Let me provide an example:

For Dodge and burn in Photoshop. You can:

-Create a curves layer, change the blend mode luminosity and brush the image.

-Create a new layer, fill with 50% grey, blend mode to soft light and brush the image.

-Create a new layer, fill with 50% grey, change the blend mode to overlay, brush the image.

-Create a new layer, change the blend mode to soft light and brush the image.

-Just use the built in Photoshop tool.

*Some sources say that both blend modes work the same but with Soft light you get a less intense effect.

*Some sources say never to use overlay because it messes up the saturation and adds contrast.

The best / most flexible method is probably to create 2 separate curves layers similar to this:

-Click on the center of the curve, then hold shift and press up three times for dodge (down for burn.)

-For the dodge raise the shadow point by one shift click up.

-For the burn lower the highlight point by one shift click down so you have some power if you want to darken a very bright highlight or lighten a very dark shadow.

-Change the blend mode to luminosity and then brush the image.

-This is a better method because you can adjust the dodge and burn opacity separately,

-It is easier to see your strokes if you want to (alt+click the mask.)

-If the color of the area you dodged or burned looks strange, you just have to clip a hue/sat layer to the curve and you can adjust the colors of exactly the area you dodged or burned.

-The results are slightly higher quality (more natural handling of color shifts.)

(Method from PhotoshopR @ http://photoshoparchives.blogspot.com/)

So, I am really looking for books, high quality videos or websites with a collection of information like this.

I have read Scott Kelby's "Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques" book and found it to be little help in this regard because he often suggests using any layer type without discussing any potential benefits of doing it in other ways. Does anyone have a good source for this?

Update:

Again the questions is, Do you know of any retouch method comparison books, videos, or websites?

I own Lightroom and use it for library management not digital image editing.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You can buy lightroom for the price of two or three books and burn and dodge without layers

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

No es posible.to study some quick get a wordpicture e book.even if you pronounce it properly you received't comprehend the answer. i began interpreting Spanish 40 5 years in the past it is 40 5 situations fifty 2= kind of weeks.I supose i recognize straight forward Spanish.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.