POLL: Is novel/story writing work, or pure enjoyment? In between?

I'm in between.

I hate to revise something, and sometimes I can't fathom the complexity of something I've plotted out. I just don't want to write it because it's too 'hard'. So to speak.

Any of you in similar circumstances? Or are you different? Explain.

Favorite Answer

It's not work, or "enjoyment". It's a mission in life. Inspiration would be the word and the concept. It just happens through you... and you're the witness to such a special event. The main witness and the instrument of it... of course it takes a lot of effort sometimes! And you also enjoy the task... that's the essence of art... :-)

Yeah I understand what you mean. :-)

Source(s): fellow writer! ;-)

Well, all great authors admit that the only reason they wrote was for money (so, work). But for me it's pure enjoyment. I feel compelled to write. Never do I write because I "need" to, but rather I "want" to.

For me it's pure enjoyment at the moment. I'm 15 so I'm not even thinking about heavy editing and attempting to get published and whatnot, for now I'm just practicing and trying to improve.

• Marcus

It depends if it is a novel I want to write or a novel I'm told to write.

Source(s): student