A little help, please?

My family was visited recently by the Jehovah's Witnesses. They got really enthusiastic about it: We started studying the bible with them, we go to all their meetings, my dad even became a Witness already.

And I'm glad they found their truth and all, but that stuff is just not for me. I won't go into the details of what I don't believe and why, but the point is I don't want to be a Witness. That's their religion, not mine.

Here's the problem: I don't know how to tell them. Every time I try, I think of how distraught they'll be, and then the words just don't come out. But I don't want to spend my whole life pretending I agree with them, when I really don't. Any of you guys know how I can deal with this? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

@:3: Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But what happens when the rest of my family gets baptized, and I'm the only one left? How will I explain that to them?

Favorite Answer

Hi, thanks for your question.

I am a little confused by how quick things have happened according to your story.

Usually people study for at least one year and longer before they get baptised.

Nobody ------gets baptised all of a sudden or against their own wish.

As a fact Jehovah's Witnesses don't even baptise babies and young children.

I don't know how old you are but reading your story you don't have to worry at all.

When you grow up and are old enough and when you can speak out for yourself, that is when you make your own decision.

By that time you should be able to tell them honestly how you feel.

If you can't do that, you are definitely not ready for baptism.

And should not make that serious decision

• .

NOT THE TRUTH.

You said "their truth"

TRUTH is NOT RELATIVE.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society aka "Jehovah's Witnesses" are a pseudo-Christian apostasy masquerading as a genuine Christian church. They have produced their own version of the Bible, "translated" for the express purpose of furthering their own agenda.

Christ did not come to bring us religion, He came to offer a relationship with the Creator of the Universe. When we pervert the Gospel of Christ to suit our own agendas, we completely eliminate the point of Christ's coming in the first place, which was to eliminate the personal agendas of the religion that had formed around God's chosen people and open up a line of communication between God the Creator and ALL people through Jesus Christ.

"I am THE way, THE truth and THE life. NO MAN comes to the Father but through Me." (John 14:6)

Does that sound like Jesus is tolerant of alternate religion? Of course not. That would not be the loving thing to do.

JWs deny the Deity of Jesus Christ, calling Him a liar, calling the Holy Bible a lie.

Oh they may have good intentions, I have no doubt about that. What was that saying about the road to Hell being paved with...? The Bible calls that "Zeal, but not according to knowledge"

If you want to help your family out, send them to a real bible-teaching church, not that cult of "witnesses"

Source(s): Born again in Christ, absent religion.
  • Sam

By @:3's logic, you should tell them, otherwise you risk being written off by falsely committing.

What would happen if you just told them that you are not thoroughly convinced, and that you don't feel Jesus would want you to make a commitment that you are not thoroughly committed to, but that you will keep an open mind. Tell them that you respect their commitment, and hope they respect your unwillingness to easily commit to something you feel you aren't ready to commit to. Tell them you are waiting to be moved by the Holy Spirit to commit, not people. I can't imagine how they could have any problem with that, and in fact should respect you for it. You don't want to offended them, and yet you want them to respect your stand. They should.

If they don't, they still have parental responsibilities. If they make your life a living hell, report them. I realize that is more easily said than done, to people you love and care about. I'm thinking they care as much about you, as you do them, and will respect your feelings, as you respect theirs. At least I hope I'm correct.

Good luck.

Source(s): Agnostic with years of religious education, and the only thing I've held onto regarding what Christ said, is 'Love one another' and nowhere did He add any 'if's, and's, or but's' when He said that.

You could try talking to someone in whatever religion you are in and find out how you could express similarities in your religion and theirs so they don't feel as hurt that you are not in theirs but rather see similarities. I am Roman Catholic and encourage all to consider the church Jesus founded. So if you are looking a priest could explain similarities to link in Catholic and your families religion. All Christian faiths have the similarity of belief in Christ.

Briahian, thanks. The doctrine of the JW is not in the Bible

Tell your family that the JW do not believe in the Trinity. We read the words of our Lord to His disciples: "Go to the whole world ... Baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" Mat.28:19 This is the Trinity

Many other things,

They also must give you their literature and not take any from other

Source(s): Gospel

Just don't do it.

Jehovah's Witnesses policy to apostates (ex-members) is VERY cruel. Your family will not be allowed to even speak to you, and you are labelled mentally deceased by them. I'm not trying to insult JW's here, this is the truth. Whatever you do, DO NOT tell them.

• Moi

well its better that someone else is distraught rather than you losing your soul to false teachings

show Christ that you are willing to stand up for him and he will reward you

all this should clear up when you are out on your own

see what Jesus stated

Mat 10:34 ¶ Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Mat 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Mat 10:36 And a man's foes [shall be] they of his own household.

Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Mat 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

• yesmar

Sometimes getting real includes brutal honesty, friend. You're going to have to get real.

http://www.jwfacts.com/

Your family has just joined a cult, You need to be better informed than your family is on Watchtower Dogma and refute it.

http://www.jwfacts.com/

oh boy that's a pickle......because if you are not a follower of the witless then you are a problem