? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

What are your opinions on the book A Separate Peace by John Knowles?

The of the books we have to read over Summer vacation for my Honors English two summer assignment is A Separate Peace by John Knowles. I am getting mixed opinions on the book. I wanted to know what you thought of it, if you have read it! We will be compairing it to the book How To Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines.

Thank you for your input

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"ASP" imo = suppressed homosexualism symbols in a Bildungsroman formation-of-character format.

"Gene" is the sensitive homosexual Knowles author, "Finny" is ~ JK's gay male member, "Brinker" is JK's mostly-unconsciously ironic "prosecutor against queer acts," and "Leper" is the acceptor of homosexual "suicide/behavior" who "goes insane" in a group of "men" (regular, straight, military guys, = JK's mostly-unconscious view of "straight/normal society").

Sex is a powerful human motivation, hence, any coherent/cogent piece of art driven by sexual feelings will tend to be powerful. "ASP" has that kind of shtick; however, "A Catcher in the Rye" is imo more period-representative of alienated/angry youth, the kind of perspective that developed into the "trust no one over 30" herd mentality of 60's rebellious/spoiled youth.

• 4 years ago

there is guy vs. Self between what's his identify Gene(sry reade the e book very final twelve months). he's suffering between his interior conflicts...no count if he should be like Finny. there is guy vs. guy whilst there are gentle conflicts between finny and gene..i've got self assurance. A conflict is going on yet it relatively is in simple terms whilst troops come by ability of ability of to cajole ppl to boost right into a member of. yet another toddler from Devon joins thinking that he in simple terms like the snowboarding. (The e book does no longer concentration on the warfare muh) Many motifs comprise Phineas as a demi-god once you communicate approximately that he's substantial in that way in the two the reader point of view and Gene's ingredient of view(verify the financial ruin whilst they circulate to the coastline). there's a topic matter of friendship.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.