Atheists...a question for you?

Anyone out there that doesn't believe in God, I wanted to ask, would you be friends with a practicing Christian?

I am a Christian, the only one in my friendship group, they are all atheists which is their choice and I never ever bring up my religion myself or push them to become a Christian, they are entitled to their views and I respect that.

My problem is, they, and anyone else in the group of people we hang out with ALWAYS question me with such questions as 'if God is real then why...' etc. It's like they constantly have to try and question me. I don't know if its just my friends, or if others are like this.

I never question them, I respect their beliefs and am happy to answer questions but not all the time and not to the point where they just want debates.

Would you be the same if you were friends with a Christian? I mean the odd question is cool but constantly trying to change their views on God?

Favorite Answer

Ahh...you sound like such a nice person. Yes. I would be friends with a Christian if I got along with them.

Unfortunately I am often considered rude and argumentative when it comes to religion, so I try my best to stay away from those topics in conversation apart from simple questions like "what is your service like?" or "what is your denomination".

I have Christian friends and most of my family are Christian so there are an endless supply of people to grill, fry and sauté before Christ's second cumming. What I realized though was that it seriously just wasn't worth it and didn't get anyone anywhere to go criticizing them on their beliefs.

So now apart from the odd sarcastic remark or swearing in god's name, I'm pretty much over all religious debate. I am confident in what I don't believe in and I'm sure they are the same in what they do believe in. Anyway, I only really try and disprove all the theology for the exercise. It's sort of like doing brain pushups in the morning or something to that effect. I just keep it to myself.

But I can understand why it would be insulting which is why when I am around my devout Catholic friend, for example, and I am traveling in his car, I make sure to only limit my "Oh jesus'" and "Oh Holy God's" to about one or two minimum, because by then he's already threatening to kick me out the car and have me walk home (and he's quite serious too). Then he forgives me because he's actually a very nice person. Obviously Christ has done good work in him.

But I just love some of the catholic chants and christian hymns so I'm not really a conventional atheist/agnostic. Of course with some people, I know when it's better to just shut up since saying something might just cost you your life or your sanity.

You can't generalize. A true friend is going to be more interested in the things you have in common than in the things that make you different. The nature of this board is that people challenge each others views. But in the real world, that doesn't, or shouldn't happen the way you describe, mostly because it's rude. You can discuss religion but to harp on it all the time is like someone who whistles the same tune all the time. The first few times it might fine but then it gets annoying. If you can't tell them to cut it out and have them listen to you, then they aren't very good friends.

I have plenty of friends who are christian, my ex-girlfriend was a seventh day Adventist. I would ask her questions all the time, she was somewhat fundamentalist so I could ask her darn near anything and she would almost always be able to quote the bible with an answer. I'm not necessarily an atheist though, I just don't believe in the god from ANY religion, or their profits, or the books. SOME of the stories and morals are beneficial, but taking all the text literally, not going to happen.

Most of my christian friends are strong in their faith and understand what they believe, so they are happy to answer questions. I don't badger them(unless I'm drunk), if I have questions about scripture or find two contradictary views in the bible I might ask them to clarify(I read the bible, like every good atheist should :) Maybe you just need to explore your faith a little more to become confident in it.

I respect every-body's views until they try to convert me, or tell me about eternal damnation. Then I can become rather condescending.

I don't really have any religious friends (except for one Buddhist), but I wouldn't not be friends with someone because of their religion. I would probably question the views and offend them a fair bit, but that's for their own good.

It's the same reason I wouldn't just simply sit back and respect their choice to use homeopathic remedies to sort out serious conditions; I care about my mates and would like them to be educated enough to not suffer such delusions and stupidity.

If we only hung out with other atheists, we would be pretty lonely. Other than fundamentalists, a person is not defined by their religion so when I meet someone, I don't grill them on their religious views.

I do have some theist friends I debate with, but that's because I know we are both cool with it. We both respect each other and don't get offended. We both just find debating fun. However, I don't discuss religion at all with the large majority of my friends. If this is bothering you, I would just tell them. If they are your friends, they will not continue if they know it makes you uncomfortable or could damage the friendship.

• Nous

Sadly it is because there are so many BAD Chrsitians that are so intolerant, hate filled, bigoted, homophobic and persecuting to wards anyone that dres beleive differently to themselves that there is such a growing backlash against all Chrsitians!

You sound like a good Chrsitian that beleives in a loving god and acts like it and hence why you have so many friends but sadly you are finding you get tarred with the same brush as the BAD Chrsitians because they are in the majority!

So it is not about atheists but about the behavior of thos that disgrace Chrsitianity and God!

Most of us who live in the west have mostly Christian friends because most people here are some denomination of Christian.

That said, I do ask pointed questions to help make my friends think.

Think about your complaint. Religions preach whereas atheists question, and you're annoyed by questions? A question will only be bothersome to a person if his answer is also. My experience is that most are only too happy to try answering questions, and in doing so, they can sometimes start to see where their own logic breaks down and turns to nonsense. It's effective and polite.

I have Christian friends and family, and I do not question their religion. I suppose I might do so occasionally, but I cannot think of when I have done such a thing, except very rarely when they have brought up the question.

I'm a Christian and two of my closest friends are both Atheists.

We have a simple rule; we don't discuss religion. Period. I don't push my beliefs on them and they don't try to convince me that my belief in God is wrong.

To each his/her own. People have to figure out their own truth and their own path.

I think non-believers and believers can get along just fine provided that each respects the others' stance on religion.

• dman63

I treat religious belief (or lack of) as a private matter and religion is a rare topic of discussion with me outside of this forum. I respect your right and your choice to follow religion...and I would expect you, as a friend, to show me the same respect.