Do I save money when filling up my gas tank when it's empty, or half full?

I'm trying to save some money and I heard there was a difference!

Best Answer

By keeping the tank full most of the time can

save a tiny bit of gas because there is less room

for evaporation. To save some gas, start off slower

and coast to stops. Go a bit slower on the highways

and use cruse control when possible.

• John

I've heard it said that you should keep the tank about half full because you burn more gas carrying around more gas. Just the weight of it burns more gas to carry. That and the evaporation thing are going to save tiny, tiny amounts if any at all. Best thing is to drive less or drive more carefully and slowly. Taking 5MPH off your freeway speed will save more than any of the other suggestions. We use public transporation every day, but it's easy for us, too.

There is no difference. A car uses gas based on the type of car, car condition, driving style and driving conditions. In the exact same conditions, driving on a 1/2 full tank vs 100% full tank makes no difference.

You same money when you guess when gas is at a cheaper point and you fill it 100% full, so you don't have to refill with more expensive gas.

- we don't have a crystal ball, we can't really make this happen without luck.

• Caren

ask in transportation how letting a gas tank go close to empty can be bad for your car.

in an old car, it can pick up the "garbage" from the bottom of the tank.

not good to let a car go anywhere near empty.

my mom always re-filled to full when reaching 1/4 of a tank.

oh, your question was rather funny. it does not save you money either way.

people that tell you there's a difference may be a bit ghetto.

Any distinction in gasoline intake may well be unnoticeable. A gallon of gas weighs approximately approximately 6 pounds. a million/2 a tank for a Civic may well be around six gallons (decrease than 40 pounds of gasoline). Any advantageous factors in gasoline financial device may well be negligible.

A sure fire way to save money on car expenses would be to take public transportation, bicycle or walk to destinations, if they are within reasonable distance.