Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 7 years ago

Did Margaret Thatcher ever admit that she got South Africa wrong?

Did she ever apologize to the South African people? To Nelson Mandela? Did she ever admit she was on the wrong side of history when it came to apartheid in South Africa?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Thatcher was a stone cold racist.

She considered Nelson Mandela a terrorist – while inviting apartheid leader P.W. Botha to London.

Thatcher was ADAMANT Nelson Mandela was nothing more than a terrorist along with the ANC. She called the indigenous freedom fighters “terrorists” and refused to meet with Mugabe and Nkomo.

It was actually a representative of the Queen, the foreign Secretary, who agreed to meet with them against Thatcher’s wishes, which led to the Lancaster House Agreement.

Thatcher on black and brown immigration:

"the British character has done so much for democracy, for law, and done so much throughout the world, that if there is any fear that it might be swamped, people are going to react and be rather hostile to those coming in"

She moved Britain to the right, she cut government help for the poor to lower taxes on the rich. She broke the back of the labour unions and freed the banks. She sold off British Telecom, British Airways, British Gas and others.

History books will consider her a great historical figure. No matter how destructive white leaders are to other nations, they are seen as great in mainstream history, unless they attack or oppress other powerful whites or white nations with a strong economy.

Only then are they seen as villains. But when they oppress and attack black people, they are given the title of being “great”.

• 7 years ago

This from the Margaret Thatcher Foundation website shows that there was an implied apology - from David Cameron who disowned MT's original position prompting contempories to suggest he was not a conservative. The Lady herself not one for turning . . .

Cameron disowns Thatcher's policy on apartheid

BY PHILIP WEBSTER, POLITICAL EDITOR

The Times , 28 Aug 2006

DAVID CAMERON has provoked anger among traditionalist Conservatives with an attack on Margaret Thatcher’s policy towards the former apartheid regime in South Africa.

He said that she was wrong to have branded Nelson Mandela ’s African National Congress as ‘terrorists’, as he sought to put further distance between himself and the Thatcher era.

Writing in The Observer, the Tory leader praised the former South African President — who he met in Johannesburg last week — as one of the greatest men alive. “The mistakes my party made with respect to relations with the ANC and sanctions on South Africa make it all the more important to listen now,” he wrote. “The fact that there is so much to celebrate in the new South Africa is not in spite of Mandela and the ANC, it is because of them — and we Conservatives should say so clearly today.”

Mr Cameron, who has already contradicted Baroness Thatcher’s claim that “there is no such thing as society”, irritated her allies. The Observer quoted Sir Bernard Ingham , her former spokesman, as saying: “I wonder whether David Cameron is a Conservative.”

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/110862

• corra
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I grew up hating Afrikaans too, for most often the identical reasons (and that i was raised Afrikaans!). But a wonderful brown-eyed Boere-meisie taught me or else (pillow-talk in english just does not sound half of as excellent). However no, i do not consider it'll die out any time quickly, even though each final Afrikaans-talking white leaves. The pan-africanists don't love admitting it, however there are numerous black people who speak it particularly willingly, and it has been my experience that there are many more who are particularly keen on finding out it. It has also been my expertise that people who would squash it with no trouble for political reasons are surely within the minority. There are simply too many folks speaking it now. If it does die, it's going to be an extraordinarily slow demise, no longer a quick one.

• 7 years ago

She never admitted that she got anything wrong!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Don't know

But i do know she made real good turnip greens.

• 7 years ago

Probably not. She took it to HELL with her.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.