Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

No name. asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 years ago

Drinking water before meals, good or bad?

A lot of websites say you should, so you can take less food intake.

But I've read that it causes the stomach to bulge..

Because the water remains in the stomach along with food for a long time and causes stomach stretch.

So, what do you say?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The “plug” in the bottom of your stomach is a stoma not a valve. It can be pushed open, so when you drink during a meal the liquid can push the food out of your stomach pouch and down into your intestines. There are two reasons you should care:

This frees up extra room in your stomach pouch so you’ll eat more during that meal. You’ll feel hungry again sooner.

A recommendation that I’ve stumbled across is the 15/30 rule. Don’t drink anything from 15 minutes before a meal until 30 minutes after a meal. This isn’t a license to under-hydrate, just a guideline on when to drink.

• ?
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Your stomach expands 6 times anyways, if you drink water you get your water intake and it really does decrease food intake!

• 8 years ago

It's water. I highly doubt that it's gonna kill you. I just drink it with my meal and don't have a big of portions. That way I'm filled And still healthy

• 8 years ago

dont know

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

okay..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.